Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Proliant ML350 G6 and hot swappable disks

Ricardo Marinheira
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant ML350 G6 and hot swappable disks

Hi all!

Bought an extra HP SAS 300 Gb disk to use as a hot swappable disk for backup purposes. Yet, noticed that in Windows Server 2008 R2, everytime I remove the disk and want to reinsert it later for backup purposes, I need to go to HP Array and rebuild the array so I can continue using it. Any way of having it done automatically, i.e., whenever I reinsert the disk, it would be usable without user interaction?

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo Marinheira
2 REPLIES
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Proliant ML350 G6 and hot swappable disks

You can't use hot swap drives as a removable backup. The controller and backplane are not designed for that purpose. Disk to Disk storage is usually not taken off site. If you want off site storage I would use tape drives or get a Barracuda device.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Proliant ML350 G6 and hot swappable disks

If you're desperate to make this work, get an additional HDD, and set the pair up as a RAID1 array.
Then you should be able to remove one without the OS or controller going gaga on you.

But whenever you plug a new disk in, you probably need to use the ACU to mark it as belonging to the array, and there's a few hours of rebuild.
(Maybe the CLI can be scripted to do this? )

The connectors aren't really designed for frequent removal, either, and replacing a drive cage or backplane sounds like a pain in the seating arraignment.

In other words, this isn't really that practical.