1753602 Members
6261 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML350

Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant ML350

Server has 2 SCSI hard drives (about 18 GB each). The one in slot 0 died. RAID is running.
1) How can I tell which version/level of RAID is running?
2) How can I tell if the hard drive is hot swappable?
3) Where can I find instructions for swapping the hard drive out/in and getting the new drive "rebuilt"?

Note that the Dell servers that I'm familiar with are all hot swappable, and are thus very easy to replace on drive.
5 REPLIES 5
Murad_3
Frequent Advisor

1. I imagine it's RAID 1-you only have 2 drives.(Mirror)
2. ML350's drives usually are hot swappable. Depends on the RAID controller. You can check your specs on the HP system management homepage; Programs>System Management Homepage
You'll need your login details
3. The manual on the HP website;
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316537

Basically remove the old one and just plug it in. You can check the ACU(Array Config Utility) to see it being rebuilt-it should start automatically. You can also check/modify your RAID setup in there too.
Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for responding. I have a few questions about your answers?

What login details are you referring to? Are you referring to the login information related to this HP support web site? Why would I need a login to access Programs\Systems Management?

The hyperlink you provided is to a manual for a G3 server series? How can I tell if this server is G3? I know it is an ML 350, but don't know about the series/generation.

How do I access the Array Config Utility?

Again, thanks for trying to point me in the right direction!!!

Murad_3
Frequent Advisor

Login details will be the details you use to logon to the server(could be domain admin etc). Is it running Windows? Go to All Programs>HP Management Agents>HP System Management Homepage
The series etc should appear on this page in the top right hand corner

For ACU go to All programs>HP System Tools>HP ACU
hth
Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help. I am still confused.

I could not locate those applications on this server. I probably should have noted that this is a COMPAQ (not HP) server. The serial number is 6J18JFX7Z00Z. The error message in Compaq Integrated Management Log Viewer has a descr of Drive Array Failure (Slot 6, Bus 1, Bay 0), class of Drive Array Subsystem, severity of Critical. This message came 4 times: 12/22/2008, 12/17/2008, 12/09/2008, and 6/13/2008. And there is one message just like this for Slot 6, Bus 1, Bay 1 on 9/9/2008.

The drive is bay 0 has a red X on it and a green arrow point toward a non-light HD symbol.

I believe this server was manuf in 2001, thus guess it is a G1???

Anny new thoughts? Again, thanks for your help.
Srinivas Suddapalli
Frequent Advisor

Hi Joel,

The server is a ML350 G1 and its manufactured in year 2001.

The description given by you indicates that the drive in Bay 0 which is indicated with a Red X, could be in a failed state and hence we have issues with array.

Please check the drive status or replace the drive in bay 0.

Regards,
Srinivas S