8747 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML350p Gen 8 Micro Server for office LAN

zeda
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant ML350p Gen 8 Micro Server for office LAN

Hello,

we have an HP Proliant ML350p Gen 8 Micro Server with 4 Cores, Intel Xeon E5-2609 Processor, 2.40 GHZ speed, 3TB, HDD capacity.  The OS is Multipoint Server Premium 2012.  Initially it was to be used with 3 thin clients.  We however want it to be used for the rest of the users on the network who are about 30.  It will do file sharing, run accounting software and typically server tasks.

Will the Multipoint Server Premium 2012 suffice or we need a new OS?  What else is needed for the server to support the users optimally?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The ML350p Gen8 is NOT a microserver. I guess the server can be powerful enough if you install enough resources.

Dou you really use the server as a multipoint server???

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj916411.aspx

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Yeah, it seems like 30 multipoint users on a E5-2609 based server would be tough.

See how it does with 3 users... is it doing okay? Could it handle 10 times the load? (memory, CPU, I/O)? I'm a bit skeptical.
zeda
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your responses.  I installed the 3 thin clients as virtual machines and they were working fine.  However, we were instead thinking of using the ML350p Gen 8 in non-multipoint mode and using it as a traditional server not 30 additional clients in multipoint mode but 30 users as typical workstations.   Can we continue to use the 3 thin clients as VMs and support the rest of the users in the typical sense of server/client or we drop the whole thin client idea and only set all the users as typical workstations?  The OS is Windows Multipoint Server Premium 2012.  Would we need to instead procure another OS say Windows Server Standard to support the 30 users if the Windows Multipoint Server would not support them.  It has a RAM of 16 GB.

Thank you.