1752622 Members
4294 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant Malufunction

NordiUK

HP Proliant Malufunction

Dear All,

Anyone could please help me, i have a HP Proliant DL380 G3, while i was working i got a blue screen saying system has been malufunctioned and halted. After i rebooted no display, now no display, on the front panel there is a red light, i have opened the case and swaped the memory reseted the ram etcc... still no luck, how can i find out which component is faulty? is it could be mother board or processor? no beep sound or nothing.

Please advise me.

Many Thanks
Nordi Jacob
9 REPLIES 9
Ravindra Muniraj
Occasional Advisor

Hi Nordi,
1) Login to ILO and forward the ILO logs to further diagnose the issue?

2) Do you have dual power supply or single power supply? If you have dual power supply, your server should power on with either of the power supply.

Pls reply with your answers to further diagnose the issue.
NordiUK

Hi Thanks very much for your reply. I was in Germany therefore i couldnt reply you quickly.

I do have an ILO port, but why i am not able to get any display?
How can i diagnosis what is the fault?

I do have two power supply, both are green. I have connected both.

Thanks
Nordi Jacob
Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Hi Nordi,

What is the led that blinks in red?

Internal Health Err -> sine wave inside box
External Health Err -> sine wave without a box

Remove the chassis cover and power up the server. Do you see any amber LEDs on the system board?

Download the ProLiant DL380 Generation 3 Server Maintenance and Service Guide form this URL:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=316529&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc00065010%2Fc00065010.pdf

Page 90 (System Board LEDs) of the above M&S Guide will help you to identify the amber LEDs if you have any.

Keep us updated.

Regards,
Shiraj Fernando
NordiUK

Thanks for your mail.

I did as you have suggested, I can see two amber light just behind the processor and one bright orange light on the back pane of the hot pluggable hard disk.

I am not sure, its looks like the process gone/or mother board gone, how can I sure which part has gone?

Also I have reset the bios and NV ram

Thanks
Nordi Jacob

Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Dear Nordi,

The amber LEDs behind the processors indicate a processor failure but it is very unlikely for a processor to fail and most unlikely for both processors to fail simultaneously.

My suggestion is to replace the system board first and check if it solves the problem.

Keep us updated.

Best regards,
Shiraj Fernando.
Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Dear Nordi,

One other thing I forgot to ask.

Do u have a single processor on this server or is it dual processor?

Before replacing the system board you can try two other things.

1. Remove both processors and reinstall them.

2. Try with one processor installed in primary socket. Check if the LED for secondary processor is amber even though the processor is not there. If this is the case you can be sure that the System Board is faulty.

You can find the processor removal procedures on the Maintenance & Service Guide.

Best regards,
Shiraj.

NordiUK

Dear Shiraj,
Thanks for your mail. I have two processor, i have removed both and restarted then there is no amper lights on the processor side. then i installed one processor and restarted, then there was no amper light on the processor, however there was an amper light on the far right on the board. Near to the scsi controller.

Any lights???
Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Dear Nordi,

Replace the System Board and see if it sorts it out.

Best regards,
Shiraj Fernando
Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Dear Nordi,

Did u replace the System Board?

Any updates ?

Regards,
Shiraj Fernando.