ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753766 Members
5795 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant RBSU CPU Performance Setting configuration

Andy Goodall_1

HP Proliant RBSU CPU Performance Setting configuration

My question is regarding Proliant DL380 G series servers.

The Rom Based Setup Utility has the item 'CPU Performance Setting', the default setting is 'Optimized for memory'.

Can anyone provide me with guidance and details regarding the settings i.e.
'optimized for memory' and 'optimized for i/o'?

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Proliant RBSU CPU Performance Setting configuration

I believe the default setting is for "optimized for memory", which is probably best in most situations. This is from the Rom Based Setup Utility user guide:

Some applications may benefit by modifying the CPU Performance Settings. Based on the type of application run on the server, choosing Optimized for Memory or Optimized for I/O may impact system performance.

This appears to be entirely dependant on which type of application is installed.

HP internal testing has determined that the following benchmark showed modest performance increases with CPU Performance Setting optimized for I/O performance.

Operating System Benchmark Version
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 TPC Benchmark Standard Specifications 5.1

HP internal testing has determined that the following benchmarks showed substantial performance increases with CPU Performance Setting optimized for memory performance:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP3 SANDRA Standard Unicode (32-bit x86) â 2003.1.9.31
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP3 SPEC CPU2000 1.2
Linux â Red Hat 8.0 STREAM 4.0 BETA, October 24, 1995
Linux â Red Hat 8.0 LMBench 3.0.a3
Linux â Red Hat 8.0 Memtester 2.9.31

HP internal testing has determined that the following benchmarks showed little, if any, dependence on the CPU Performance Setting:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP3 WebBench 5.0
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP3 NetBe
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..