1752583 Members
5127 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Proliant SBS 2003 R2 - Can no longer connect XP Pro Clients to server

DCGSyd
Occasional Contributor

HP Proliant SBS 2003 R2 - Can no longer connect XP Pro Clients to server

Can no longer connect clients (local or remote) running XP Pro to HP Proliant ML110 G4 server running SBS 2003 R3 and cannot ping server from clients.

From server can ping clients using IP address but not by host name as old ip addresses come up on ping request.

Was able to connect prior to installing MS auto updates and could use web access from remote notebook client plus get e-mail from Exchange server via MS Outlook 2007 on this notebook.

Server sits behind Netgear FVS318 VPN router and server plus clients are running Trend Micro WFBS 5 Advanced.

Now, the only way that clients can get internet and Pop 3 e-mail is to enable DHCP on router and take HP Proliant ML 110 G4 off the network.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution please?

Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4
goldeng
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Proliant SBS 2003 R2 - Can no longer connect XP Pro Clients to server

Do you have any errors in the event log ? Have you checked your DNS is working and does the server or router do DHCP ?

Cheers

James
DCGSyd
Occasional Contributor

James,

Thanks for your comments.

Tried to cut over from router as DHCP to server as DHCP by disabling DHCP on router and then running wizard and letting it configure router with plug and play. Believe there is a DNS issue as old IPs show up when I ping from server to clients by name. Changed these manually and can log on to at least two of the XP Pro clients via server using terminal services but unable to ping (name or IP) from clients to server. Looks like DNS/DHCP or was wondering if Trend Micro WFBS Advanced 5.1 is blocking connections to server. Attached a few screen shots and can give link to Proliant logs (large zip) if it would help.

Many thanks.
goldeng
Frequent Advisor

Try flushing the dns on the clients and the server

Have you tired reinstalling DHCP on the server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300429

DCGSyd
Occasional Contributor

James,

Thanks. Tried DHCP reinstall but it keeps stopping, snap in no longer shows up and I am now getting TCPIP errors so I appear to have compounded the problem. Rgds