ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752793 Members
6104 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant Support Pack fails discovery (ver.8.0A)

John DeAgro
Advisor

HP Proliant Support Pack fails discovery (ver.8.0A)

Hey all,

I have attemped to update the PSS on a Proliant DL360 G5 to the latest version 8.0A using the HP Smart Update Manager. I am currently running version 7.91 and when I launch the new SPP, I recieve an error message that the discovery failed. I am running this locally on the server from the hard drive. Any ideas why this might be happening? I do recieve the following event message:

Faulting application hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe, version 1.3.0.0, faulting module hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe, version 1.3.0.0, fault address 0x00038434.

21 REPLIES 21
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

when you extract the PSP there is a file called

bp000380.cmd or similar but .cmd at the end

run that file to install your PSP

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KimO_1
Advisor

There are some known conditions which can cause discovery to fail. These include:
1) Invalid or missing system serial number
2) An older version of the iso daemon utility running on the system. The latest version will work with HPSUM.

If you can attach the HPSUM debug files from the failing session to this thread, I'll take a look at them. The debug files can be found in the listed directory when running in the following mode:
FW CD Offline: files located in the \tmp\hp_sum directory
Online Linux: files located in the \tmp\hp_sum directory
Online Win 2003: files in the %TEMP%\hp_sum directory.
Online Longhorn: files in the %TEMP%\\hp_sum directory.

The files and subdirectories included are:
Target_0 (subdirectory)
InventoryResults.xml
OpMan.trace
Settings.xml
SourceClient.trace
I work for HP.
John DeAgro
Advisor

Karlo - Thanks for the response, the file name is bp000368.cmd and that worked for me. I was able to install it and once I rebooted the server the management home page and so forth are now working properly.

KimO - Thanks for the response, I had the HPSUM files ready to send to you if the cmd line installation failed however it succeeded and all appears to be working just fine.

Thanks again for your assistance!
KimO_1
Advisor

John,

Using the bp*.cmd will always work as it just installs each component individually, not using HP Smart Update Manager. If possible, I would really appreciate the opportunity to take a look at the debug files to see what caused the discovery failure.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kim
I work for HP.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

KimO

that would be great because since version 7.9 HPSUM is reporting that issue and nobody knows what that is..... exactly

are you from HP SUM architecture team or something?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
John DeAgro
Advisor

KimO - I am attaching the files for you to review. Also I agree, I would like to be able to select/de-select components to install and the cmd line option just installs like you stated... Anyways the files are attached and these are from before installing the PSS from the cmd line.

BTW, I just checked to see if I could run the HP Smart Update manager (8.0) and scan the server but it still fails with "Discovery Failed" and this is after I installed from the cmd line.
KimO_1
Advisor

John,

When I downloaded the file and tried to open it, Winzip reported that it wasn't a valid file. It was 77KB. Are you able to successfully download it from the thread?

Thanks,

Kim
I work for HP.
John DeAgro
Advisor

Kim,

I am re-attaching the file... It was corrupt for me too when I tried to download it.

I opened it before uploading and all looks good so let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
John
John DeAgro
Advisor

It still seems to be corrupt after re-uploading a new copy of it that was fine. Let me try from another system or maybe they are having problems....stay tunned.