ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748123 Members
3369 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant Support Pack fails discovery (ver.8.0A)

John DeAgro
Advisor

Kim,

OK, I am trying to upload the file again from my machine... Please see attached

Thanks,
John
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

John,
Thanks for working with Kim to provide me debug information on this problem with HPSUM. She is the HPSUM Project Manager who works with me on this project. I've looked at the logs you provided and need some additional details to determine the cause of the failure. I've attached a zip file which contains a debug version of HPSUM's services discovery tool (hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe) which I would like you to run. You don't need any of the other HPSUM files to run this. Just type "hpsum_srvdiscovery > debug.out" to redirect the output to a log file. If the command crashes, just send me the debug.out file. If it succeeds, send me the srvdiscovery.xml file in addition to the debug.out file. Both files should be located in the directory where you run hpsum_srvdiscovery.

The hpsum_srvdiscovery file just walks through your services control table and writes out the Name, description, module name and install state of services on your server. It is used by HPSUM to determine if certain services are installed and running before installing software. An example of the usage of it is with our Insight Agents. These agents require the SNMP service to be installed and running before they will operate correctly. We use the output of the services discovery process to validate the dependencies before we allow installation of the agents.

Karlo,
If you have servers with this same problem where discovery is failing, can you try the file as well and post the results.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Garner
HPSUM Architect
John DeAgro
Advisor

Michael,
When I download the HP_Discovery debug file it says it is corrupt and I cannot open the zip file. Any Ideas why???

Thanks,
John
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi john

sometimes that issue depends on you're using to download or upload files

I've seen IE cause some issues. I upload and download a lot of files with firefox with no issues at all.

thanks Michael as soon as I get another discovery failed I will upload the files
usually it's not me they are the same customer you have (you know call support)

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
John DeAgro
Advisor

Michael,

Attached is the debug.log file as it seemed to complete, however it never create an .xml file.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Karlo - Thanks... it was I.E. 7 that was causing the file corrupt error. I even tried several machine with I.E. 7 and got the same error message. I used Mozilla and it worked flawlessly.
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

John,
Unfortunately, the file you attached was empty. Can you run it without dumping the output to debug.out and verify you are getting output. You should see something like the following:

-------------------------
-Next Service Entry-
Name: ADIHdAudAddService
Display Name: ADI UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio Service
Module Name: system32\drivers\ADIHdAud.sys
-Next Service Entry-
Name: adp94xx
Display Name: adp94xx
Module Name: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\adp94xx.sys
-Next Service Entry-
Name: adpahci
Display Name: adpahci
Module Name: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\adpahci.sys
-Next Service Entry-
Name: adpu160m
Display Name: adpu160m
Module Name: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\adpu160m.sys
-Next Service Entry-
Name: adpu320
Display Name: adpu320
Module Name: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\adpu320.sys
-Next Service Entry-
Name: AEADIFilters
Display Name: Andrea ADI Filters Service
Module Name: C:\Windows\system32\AEADISRV.EXE

output to the console.

Now that I think about it, you probably don't have the runtime libraries installed that come with HPSUM. I've attached the three libraries to this post as a zip file. Drop these in the same directory as hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe and let me know what happens.

Thanks,
Michael
John DeAgro
Advisor

Hey Michael,

I tried as you suggested however it did not display any status per your example... It does however create an application event error message each time I run it with the following text message:

Faulting application hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe, version 1.3.0.0, faulting module hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe, version 1.3.0.0, fault address 0x00038429.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks,
John
mark q
Regular Advisor

I am also getting the same thing when running hpsum, the batch file runs but how do I apply the firmware now?

here's the file
David Richoz

I have the exact same issue on a ML350 G5 :

running hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe got no output

Application Event Error 1000 :
Faulting application hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe, version 1.3.0.0, faulting module hpsum_srvdiscovery.exe, version 1.3.0.0, fault address 0x00038434.
dave_p

I have exact same problem with DL360 G4 and G5 but when I use Remote Desktop in console mode and run setupex.exe. Currently I have 7.91 installed on them.
When I run PSP 8.0 logged on locally (not remotely) on the server it works OK. (at least on 2 G5 and one g2 I've tried)
Running that .cmd did work though but not sure if it installs all drivers that are in PSP 8.0 or just the one for G5 or G4 etc??

I even tried to install it using HP Smart Start CD to install from my wkst to remote host with the same error (Discovery Failed)as well as while connected to a server using iLO. Same thing, Discovery Failed.
Tried what was suggested and default is English and have nothing else connected to my servers...
Any progress on this?