5959 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ml350 G4p heat/fanspeed problem

Markus_Kirchler
Occasional Contributor

HP Proliant ml350 G4p heat/fanspeed problem

Hi everybody,

our ProLiant ML350 G4p has a very bad overheating problem. For some days now, i had the problem, that the server restarted due to a overheating system (above 80┬░C). I then lowered the temperature of our cooling system and the server stayed below the 80┬░ at about 78┬░. But of course that cannot be the solution.

I have the suspicion, that the fan doesn't increase it's speed, when the CPU usage increases, because after a restart the system cools down at about 50┬░ and then rises up to about 80┬░ again. So I don't think that the sensor is damaged and I have read about such a problem also reguarding a ML380. The solution there was a firmware upgrade, but i don't really know, which one i have to use exactly and I don't know, if that would really help for my ML350.

What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Markus
30 REPLIES 30
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

can you check if a retaining bracket on the motherboard is broken. 80├В┬░ is quite hot. so i think the heatsink doesn't make properly contact with your cpu.
Micablue
Advisor

I agree on the other poster that its mostly the hardware problem. You might want to take out the CPU heatsink, clean out all those dried out thermal paste, re-apply some new paste on it, and reinstall the heatsink on top of the CPU and make sure they seat on the proper way.
Markus_Kirchler
Occasional Contributor

I'll try that as soon as possible (probably tomorrow evening) and give you some feedback, if that was the solution.

Thanks
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi!
One way to resolve issue - order and replace heatsink 366866-001. Good luck.
scooterscs

I am having the same problem. The HP management homepage says that the processor temp goes from 50C to 80C in a matter of seconds.

Last night I took the cheap looking thermal sheet that comes on the heatsink/fan assembly (Part #366866-001) with thermal paste.

The thing that confuses me even more though is that the processor was only warm to the touch.

Waiting to see the result of what was done last night.
scooterscs

temperatures still fluctuate. The paste did no good.
Markus_Kirchler
Occasional Contributor

I replaced the paste too, with no result. I also updated the whole firmware, no result.

I'm going to call HP about that, will see what they say...
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi!
Please read my post above again. I`m wrote that I know.
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

I'm having the same issues as above. Did you guys ever find a solution for your issues?