Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Proliant ml350 G4p heat/fanspeed problem

Markus_Kirchler
Occasional Contributor

HP Proliant ml350 G4p heat/fanspeed problem

Hi everybody,

our ProLiant ML350 G4p has a very bad overheating problem. For some days now, i had the problem, that the server restarted due to a overheating system (above 80°C). I then lowered the temperature of our cooling system and the server stayed below the 80° at about 78°. But of course that cannot be the solution.

I have the suspicion, that the fan doesn't increase it's speed, when the CPU usage increases, because after a restart the system cools down at about 50° and then rises up to about 80° again. So I don't think that the sensor is damaged and I have read about such a problem also reguarding a ML380. The solution there was a firmware upgrade, but i don't really know, which one i have to use exactly and I don't know, if that would really help for my ML350.

What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Markus
30 REPLIES
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Proliant ml350 G4p heat/fanspeed problem

can you check if a retaining bracket on the motherboard is broken. 80° is quite hot. so i think the heatsink doesn't make properly contact with your cpu.
Micablue
Advisor

I agree on the other poster that its mostly the hardware problem. You might want to take out the CPU heatsink, clean out all those dried out thermal paste, re-apply some new paste on it, and reinstall the heatsink on top of the CPU and make sure they seat on the proper way.
Markus_Kirchler
Occasional Contributor

I'll try that as soon as possible (probably tomorrow evening) and give you some feedback, if that was the solution.

Thanks
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi!
One way to resolve issue - order and replace heatsink 366866-001. Good luck.
scooterscs
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same problem. The HP management homepage says that the processor temp goes from 50C to 80C in a matter of seconds.

Last night I took the cheap looking thermal sheet that comes on the heatsink/fan assembly (Part #366866-001) with thermal paste.

The thing that confuses me even more though is that the processor was only warm to the touch.

Waiting to see the result of what was done last night.
scooterscs
Occasional Visitor

temperatures still fluctuate. The paste did no good.
Markus_Kirchler
Occasional Contributor

I replaced the paste too, with no result. I also updated the whole firmware, no result.

I'm going to call HP about that, will see what they say...
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi!
Please read my post above again. I`m wrote that I know.
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

I'm having the same issues as above. Did you guys ever find a solution for your issues?
JLG3
Occasional Visitor

I have quite a few G4p's, and almost all of them overheat to 81 - 83 degrees C, during heavy data transfers. Firmware upgrades do no good for this problem. I have had pretty good luck replacing the heatsink, also getting rid of the thermal pad HP includes. I use Artic Silver #5 thermal paste. The machines temp now ranges from 33 degrees C, no load, with spikes to 62C at 100% proc utilization after the change, (overnight load testing). No more overheating at 72 F ambient room temp.
If you can't replace the heatsink, remove it, pull off the fan, and blow the beejeezuz out of it with canned air. (the whole can - even if you think it looks clean). Dust tends to accumulate on the heat pipes, and refuses to come out. Make sure the fan is spotless, and re-assemble. Also make sure the CD Rom ribbon cable is not blocking the airflow to the heatsink.
Pull each hard drive out and clean the spring slot out on the top of the drive. (Ultra 320's). If cool air can't come in there, the drives heat up, and so does the temp inside the case. Make sure the case
fan(s) are clear. I also pull the top covers off the power supplies and blow them out. They hold a fair amount of dust as well. Hope this helps. It's worked for me in over thirty ML350 G4p's.
JLG
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

JLG,

Thanks for the reply!

HP sent me two new heatsinks and a thermal grease kit. I opened the heatsinks and they have thermal tape on them. Should I apply the grease over the tape? Also, I do have some old arctic silver on hand, would it be worth using that instead of the HP grease and should i remove the tape before applying the arctic silver?

Thanks again

Bustin
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

No, use the thermal tape, that is on the new heatsink.
And clean off the old paste from the cpu.

I have seen a few broken Heatzinks, some years ago. can't remember wich model or generation.
I'm pretty sure it was a ML350 or ML370.
Those heatzinks got som U shaped pipes, wich couls breake.
That did caurse the CPU temp to rise to more than 80 dgr. C.
When heatzink was replaced temp dropped to 40 dgr. C.

BR
/jag
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

ps. There might be som cover you need to remove - easy pull off.

Is this the heatzink:
http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=366866-001

Look like the one i have seen fail

BR
/jag
JLG3
Occasional Visitor

Bustin,
The first thing I do on a new replacement heatsink is pull off the thermal tape and throw it away. Then I use Artic Silver thermal compound instead. I find that I get about a 10 to 15 degree drop in temp (at full load) over a new piece of HP thermal tape. You can test this yourself. Fire up the server with the new heatsink with the thermal tape, (no compound), then once the server is up, go into the Integrated Management home page, and check the temp link, say 4 minutes after it boots up. Preferably use a proc load program like Heavyload. Then take the heatsink out, remove the thermal tape, apply the AS5 thermal grease as instructed by the manufacturer. Do the same temp check at 4 minutes after boot up, using the same proc loader program. If applied correctly, you should notice a goodly difference. At 100% proc utilization, you shouldn't go over 66 or 67C if the server has good airflow, even when the ambient temp hits 76 F. Now, the caveat to all of this is, sometimes you have a proc that just runs hot, and should be considered defective. No matter what you do with them, they still run hot. I have had two of those out of the 150 plus 3 to 4 year old G4p's I still run. On occasion I have to rebuild one, and I always stick with the Silver based thermal compounds. I might add that I am part of the reason HP now includes thermal paste with the Heatsink kit. (most of the time - if you ask they will for sure). They didn't used to until I convinced (hounded) their engineers by sending them my test data sheets showing the difference in temp at no load, full load, and in between, using their thermal tape, and Artic Silver 5. I also ran the tests using the HP supplied thermal paste, and while it did do a little better than the tape, AS5 still did a fair amount better. I have also succesfully used another brand of silver based thermal compound, and it did well, too. The brand name escapes me though. OK, that's it for now. Cheers and good luck!
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

JLG,

Thank you again for getting back with me. I read through the Arctic Silver application document on their website. The method in which they suggest applying the thermal compound makes a lot of sense. No doubt in my mind that filling the micro fissures with the AS5 compound will work better than a piece of thermal tape.

HP did send thermal compound along with the heatsinks, but I have some AS5 on hand from some of the desktops I've repaired around the office.

I have a scheduled outage planned for tonight. I will post my results once everything is up and running.

Thank you again for your advice and your time spent troubleshooting your machines to find the right solution.

Bustin
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

My temps are pretty close to BR's now that i have swapped the heatsinks. They are MUCH better than they were before.

Prior to replacing the heatsinks

Idle temps:
System: 51C
CPU1: 58C
CPU2: 50C

100% CPU temps:
System: 51C
CPU1: 81
CPU2: 66

After Heatsink Replacement:

Idle temps:
System: 46C
CPU1: 44
CPU2: 41

100% CPU temps (15min):
System: 47C
CPU1: 69
CPU2: 60

The fans on the server never spun up to full speed during the test after the heatsinks were replaced.

I did end up using AS5, so I'm curious to see if my temps drop any after the 200 hour break in period.

Thank you everyone for your input, especially JLG.

Bustin

clip
Occasional Advisor

Hi, i also have the same problem. With the replacement Heatsink/Cooler/Fan is it only the HP 366866-001 that will fit, or is thare another make/model that i could use instead?? The temperature seems to jump from 50C to 80c in a matter of minutes & then down again??
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

The temps would jump drastically depending on how much load was on the processor. If I got the CPU to 100%, within a minute or less it was at 80C and prompting to shutdown.

I used the replacement heatsinks HP sent me.
The replacements from HP are plenty sufficient to cool the machine under load. The ambient temp of my server room is 75F+ and the server still manages to stay 10C below shutdown temps under full load. I would suggest finding those heatsinks if the server is critical. If not, I'm sure you can find something that might work.
clip
Occasional Advisor

The server is not doing much, CPU load is rarely over much over 10% - 15?% as it is mainly being used as a print server. The heatsink kit on HP is £75? but is not in stock for 2 weeks, so i was looking for an alternative or improvement on the standard model? There are also some on ebay.
I also have a workstation with the same processor but it is a different heatsink assembly, this is what made me curious as to what i could use?
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

From what I understand, the problem isn't just that of the heatsink, but the connection that its making to the processor. The thermal tape that HP uses to conduct heat between the proc and the heatsink is crap...

If I were in your situation, heres what i would do.

1. purchase some Arctic Silver
2. purchase some ArctiClean or some Isopropyl Alcohol
3. Use canned air to clean the parts in the server thoroughly.
4. remove the current heatsinks
5. remove the thermal tape from the bottom of the heatsinks
6. Use the canned air to blow all of the crap out of the heatsink fins and fans
7. clean both the processor and the heatsink with the ArctiClean
8. apply the thermal compound according to Arctic Silvers directions on the website.
9. reattach the heatsinks and fire that beast up.

I bet you get good enough temps that you can hold off until the HP replacement heatsinks are available. Best case, you don't need to buy them at all if your temps are stable.

Bustin
Chuck Coulter
Occasional Advisor

Greetings:

At the risk of sounding utterly redundant, we have an ML350 G4 production server smack dab in the middle of no-where on the Navajo Reservation that is driving me CRAZY with non-stop IM alerts regarding this overheating "specialness".

Bustin, or JG, aside from your excellent recommendations on heat sink replacement, did you apply any firmware upgrades, and if so, did they make a difference? Can you tell me specifically what you recommend for us to facillitate in this regard?

We'd be most grateful as we can't keep making these 7 hr. drives and practically packing the server in dry-ice!!!

Muchas gracias for your kind advice. PLEASE!!

Chuck

clip
Occasional Advisor

Just to conclude, i did as suggested & purchased Artic Silver 5, removed the HP Tape from the Heat Sink, applied the Artic Silver & i have seen an average drop of 20C - a definite result, Thanks for your advice
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks clip for the update. Its good to know that you can lower the temps significantly without even having to purchase new heatsinks.

Chuck, I did do the firmware upgrades that HP suggested, but temps did not move a single degree. Anytime I've had any issue with an HP server they request you to do the firmware updates, which I thought was silly for the heat issues.

I would suggest following the instructions that I left for clip a few posts up. Just go buy some arctic silver, or any good thermal compound and remove the thermal pad that HP includes on their stock heatsinks. In clips case, 20C was a significant decrease in temps, if you can get even half that your server should stop rebooting.

Bustin
Chuck Coulter
Occasional Advisor

Bustin & Clip:

Sorry if this ends up posting twice. Got an error from HP when attempting to post a moment ago...

Appreciate both of your replies to my query. Thank you most sincerely.

I have one last question:

Were you able to accomplish your resolution to this problem WITHOUT replacing the heat sinks, but rather, removing the old thermal pad, cleaning the old thermal paste off, and then applying new Arctic Silver??? Seems to me that the sink is fine, just needs better thermal transfer from CPU.

Please advise and thank you, once again.

Chuck