1748157 Members
4154 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant ml350 G4p heat/fanspeed problem

Bustin
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP Proliant ml350 G4p heat/fanspeed problem

From what I understand, the problem isn't just that of the heatsink, but the connection that its making to the processor. The thermal tape that HP uses to conduct heat between the proc and the heatsink is crap...

If I were in your situation, heres what i would do.

1. purchase some Arctic Silver
2. purchase some ArctiClean or some Isopropyl Alcohol
3. Use canned air to clean the parts in the server thoroughly.
4. remove the current heatsinks
5. remove the thermal tape from the bottom of the heatsinks
6. Use the canned air to blow all of the crap out of the heatsink fins and fans
7. clean both the processor and the heatsink with the ArctiClean
8. apply the thermal compound according to Arctic Silvers directions on the website.
9. reattach the heatsinks and fire that beast up.

I bet you get good enough temps that you can hold off until the HP replacement heatsinks are available. Best case, you don't need to buy them at all if your temps are stable.

Bustin
Chuck Coulter
Occasional Advisor

Greetings:

At the risk of sounding utterly redundant, we have an ML350 G4 production server smack dab in the middle of no-where on the Navajo Reservation that is driving me CRAZY with non-stop IM alerts regarding this overheating "specialness".

Bustin, or JG, aside from your excellent recommendations on heat sink replacement, did you apply any firmware upgrades, and if so, did they make a difference? Can you tell me specifically what you recommend for us to facillitate in this regard?

We'd be most grateful as we can't keep making these 7 hr. drives and practically packing the server in dry-ice!!!

Muchas gracias for your kind advice. PLEASE!!

Chuck

clip
Occasional Advisor

Just to conclude, i did as suggested & purchased Artic Silver 5, removed the HP Tape from the Heat Sink, applied the Artic Silver & i have seen an average drop of 20C - a definite result, Thanks for your advice
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks clip for the update. Its good to know that you can lower the temps significantly without even having to purchase new heatsinks.

Chuck, I did do the firmware upgrades that HP suggested, but temps did not move a single degree. Anytime I've had any issue with an HP server they request you to do the firmware updates, which I thought was silly for the heat issues.

I would suggest following the instructions that I left for clip a few posts up. Just go buy some arctic silver, or any good thermal compound and remove the thermal pad that HP includes on their stock heatsinks. In clips case, 20C was a significant decrease in temps, if you can get even half that your server should stop rebooting.

Bustin
Chuck Coulter
Occasional Advisor

Bustin & Clip:

Sorry if this ends up posting twice. Got an error from HP when attempting to post a moment ago...

Appreciate both of your replies to my query. Thank you most sincerely.

I have one last question:

Were you able to accomplish your resolution to this problem WITHOUT replacing the heat sinks, but rather, removing the old thermal pad, cleaning the old thermal paste off, and then applying new Arctic Silver??? Seems to me that the sink is fine, just needs better thermal transfer from CPU.

Please advise and thank you, once again.

Chuck
Bustin
Occasional Advisor

I received new heatsinks from HP since our server was still under warranty.

Sounds like Clip used his old heatsinks. You can probably get away with just using the existing heatsinks. That thermal pad they use is complete junk. It wouldn't surprise me if thats the only reason those heatsinks have problems cooling over time.

Make sure you use canned air to thoroughly clean out the fins on the heatsinks. It would be good practice to clean out the whole server while your in there too. Also make sure all of the ribbons are pressed against the case, so they are not obstructing air flow.

Bustin
Chuck Coulter
Occasional Advisor

Dear Bustin:

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I'm going to clean the existing sink and address this problem from that perspective. Can't see how a sink can "go bad" if it was fine.

10-4 on the thoroughly cleaning the unit out as well. We do that routinely, believe it or not, as part of our support services.

I think, as you both have so aptly alluded, that the thermal tape is the culprit, and that it has dried up, and hence become ineffective in transferring heat away from the CPU.

Thanks once again!!

Chuck

clip
Occasional Advisor

Hi There,

To add i used my original Heat Sink, just as said, i removed it, cleaned off the old Tape, removed any dust etc, cleaned the CPU applied the Artic Silver as instructed & re-assembled it & found an instant drop, no problems since either! My Server is out of Warranty, so my only other option was to purchase replacement H/Sinks, but now, no need.
Chuck Coulter
Occasional Advisor

Clip:

EXCELLENT reply to this thread. That's what I wanted to confirm. Seems absurd to replace the sink. I just got off the phone w/Acrtic Silver in Visalia, CA, and the rep I spoke to assured me that they get calls ALL the time from like HP IT folks just like us about this very issue. He also indicated that HP and Dell both purchase this stuff from them now by the barrell....

For those who may be interested, the reason we want to use Arctic Silver is that it is 99.9% pure silver. Silver is the most efficient conductor of heat and/or electrical current, (save gold), and so it is the most effective available transfer agent for drawing heat AWAY from the CPU and into the sink.

BTW, Radio Shack (I usually call them something else...) does OEM Arctic Silver under their Red & Black R/S branding. It's $10 a shot for 3.3 gram tube. I'll just wear a Groucho Marx "funny nose & glasses" disguise before going in there in case a support client spots me entering into the place.

Will post once again to indicate our results after our trip to the client's location tomorrow...

Chuck
Chuck Coulter
Occasional Advisor

Just wanted to confirm that removing the heat sink, cleaning it thoroughly (remove the fan & wash the sink assy. thoroughly in soapy water), removing the thermal tape from the sink & using Arctic Silver is THE solution. Be sure that the sink fins are completely dry before re-installing.

Server is now running normally at about 55-60C now. Was re-setting or genning shut-down alerts about every 10 min. continuously prior to the cure.

Thanks a MILLION to Bustin & Clip!!

Chuck