ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752866 Members
4123 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proloant ML110 G6 Server and RHEL4

sharmila inamdar

HP Proloant ML110 G6 Server and RHEL4

On ML110G6 successfully installed RHEL5.4 on the HP built in SATA HDD ( WDGB0250EAFYK)
We have another SATA HDD with preinstalled RHEL4. When I connect it to HP server, only blinking cursor is seen. I tried AHIC,compatibility options for SATA mode. No luck. I expect atleast the bootloader GRUB prompt to be displayed. Any explainitions ? Is the another HDD not compatible with the BIOS ? This HDD loads RHEL4 on another m/c properly.
3 REPLIES 3
sharmila inamdar

One more important detail. The Other HDD with RHEL4 (4.2) is seagate 160GB (ST3160813AS).

Please clarify this scene. Why I am not able to get GRUB bootloader of this RHEL4 HDD ? I expected it to go ahead of grub and while booting give kernel panic bcoz of the AHIC driver issue.

Any help ?
SRINATH_4

HP supports RHEL 4 and 5 versions. I suggest you to contact HP Support. Good luck!
sharmila inamdar

I was talking about not getting the boot-loader stage ( GRUB), rhel4/rhel5 OS loading will come later and RHEL4 won't boot for not having the AHIC driver.

Anyways , I finally cracked the problem. The other disk with RHEL4 is (ST3160813AS).

This Seagate HDD is having is having firmware bug of getting locked/unable for access after power recycle.
Check ..
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/IDE.htm

Meanwhile I also got hold of another SATA HDDD with RHEL4, it passed the bootloader stage and gave kernel panic. That is OK. That's what I expected for RHEL4 on the HP m/c.

Thanks, anyway, for the reply.