New Discussion юеВ

HP RPM: System Agent service hangs on w2k servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Reynaert
Occasional Advisor

HP RPM: System Agent service hangs on w2k servers

Hi,

I recently installed HP Rack and Power Manager 1.1 on a w2k3 server. The server manages 2 HP 5500 UPS's, three w2k3 servers and five w2k servers. On all servers I installed the same HP Rack and Power management agent.

The problem I am experiencing is that ALL w2k servers become red crossed (=disconnected) in the HP Rack and Power Manager server after some time (less than an hour). Even when I reboot a w2k server, HP RPM shows the server is connected green, but after less than an hour it becomes red crossed again. Some servers don't even get connected after a reboot, they always stay red crossed.

When I then try to stop the service HP System Agent on the red crossed w2k server, it gives a time out (The service did not respond within a timely fashion,...). After that I can start the service again and the server becomes connected in HP RPM (so the server is green). But again after some time the server status changes to disconnected (red cross) in HP RPM.

I thought the problem was caused by the Service Pack on the servers. I installed it on SP3 instead of SP4. So I upgraded to SP4 (on two servers to be sure), slipstreamed, removed the HP RPM client, rebooted and reinstalled the client. But no luck, it still disconnects after a while.

Has anyone seen this problem and maybe found a solution? I'm afraid the servers won't be shut down properly when they are disconnected in HP RPM and power is dropped...

Thanks in advance!

Wout Reynaert
5 REPLIES 5
Bob Pederson

Re: HP RPM: System Agent service hangs on w2k servers

I am having exactly the same problem on Windows 2000 servers. Cycling the HP system agent service seems to help the communication stay up on some servers but not on others. I have a total of 13 DL 380 G3's and 2 DL360 G3's. Of these machines 5 are misbehaving. They are on different UPS's and some of the machines are serial relay agents. The serial relay agents appear to be working fine. The problem is with the System Agents. There may be a partial relationship to ilo. I shut down ilo on two of the problem machines and they appear to remain in communication longer, but the do not appear to restart communication after a reboot without "help" in the form of cycling the system agent service. Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin to it!!! I hope someone else has got an answer to this conumdrum.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

I believe this is a problem within Winsock in Windows 2000.

Try the following steps:
Stop the HP SYSTEM AGENT in services. Rename the shutdownagent.exefix to shutdownagent.exe and place in the install directory of Rack and Power Manager [c:\program files\hp\rack and power manager] (rename or delete the existing shutdownagent.exe) then restart the HP SYSTEM AGENT.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The shutdownagent.exefix is included in the previous post as an attachment.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Reynaert
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The problem is indead solved by using the fix attached to one of the previous answers (Reply from Terry Hutchings). HP provided me this patch some time ago, don't know if the patch is already available for download via the HP website. If not, maybe it will be provided with a newer version of HP RPM.

Kind regards,

Wout Reynaert
Reynaert
Occasional Advisor

Closing this thread, please view patch provided by Terry.