ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748003 Members
4931 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Rack and Power Manager (RPM) with support for W2K3.

SOLVED
Go to solution
MC1903
Regular Advisor

HP Rack and Power Manager (RPM) with support for W2K3.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me when the update that fully supports Windows 2003 will be released?

The RPM 1.0 web site has been saying "Note: Windows Server 2003 support will be released by the end of the year." since at least Aug/Sep 2003.

Well it is 2004 now and I could really do with it being made available ASAP.

Are there any HP people 'in the know' who can let me know?

Cheers

Martin

BTW ├в I do know that HP Power Manager 3.1 now has support for W2K3, but I have many HP UPS that are all network attached - so it will not work for m
11 REPLIES 11
sputnix
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I have the same problem. Got the information from HP Europe, the version RPM 1.0 will be finished and downloadable in April 2004.

The Power Manager 3.1 supports 2003 is available since December 2003.

In hope we trust!
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Thanks Andreas.

Could they not supply you with a beta version of the code?

Perhaps someone from HP could update the site with this new info.

Cheers

Martin
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

April ??? That's nearly one year after Windows Server 2003 was released. Can't HP get their act together? I'm an all 2003 shop, and now have a total lack of CMC management because of this major problem.

Maybe they are doing a total rewrite? The Rack Management software seemed horribly written and thrown together. It appears to me some 3rd party company is responsible and they don't know how to write and test programs.

Wow, April is unacceptable in light of the fact that Windows Server 2003 has been out for an entire year. Doubly unacceptable is the promise on the website that the software will be out "by the end of the year" (which I guess is valid for 2004)

This is yet another disappointment for my company and I on HP's UPS business. They don't adequately support their products (unlike their servers, they don't seem to offer the same stellar level of service. They OEM their UPSes from Powerware. I wasn't aware of this until I actually had to call HP for support, and thye told me to call Powerware to troubleshoot, and then call them back if Powerware says it should be replaced), and now the management software may be late in supporting a current OS by as much as a year. This is making me look read bad around here, and that doesn't endear the vendor to me.

When it comes time to retire these UPSes, I will probably end up going with Liebert rather than re-batterying them- unless HP gets their act together.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Amen! HP really needs to get their UPS software act together. The level of their software support is totally unacceptable.
Eelco Kos
Advisor

Hi,

Version 1.1 and Windows 2003 Server are mentioned on the website, I haven't tried to download it:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/description.html#comparison

Cheers
Eelco
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Eelco,

Thanks - I did see this, it is just a feature comparison between the current RPM V1.0 and the pending release of RMP V1.1 for HP Systems Insight Manager.

The main difference is support for W2K3 - which is what we are all waiting for!

The latest downloadable code for RPM is still V1.0.

No one from HP seems to want to share any info on the expected release date for V1.1.

If it does not arrive soon my company will start selling Non-HP UPS to customers who require networked/centralised W2K3 shutdown & control.

I just do not understand why HP is being so slow to release this update.

Martin

Well, it looks like HP took of the "Windows Server 2003 support will be released by the end of the year" message off of the page for Rack and Power Manager. However, when you go to the link to download, it still says version 1.0 (you only find out after giving them your contact info, though. Argh!)

I'm quite annoyed. I'm going to need to give our sales rep a call. This is bull****.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I agree! How can HP take 9+ months to release UPS software for a new OS? I'm very suspicious that the software isn't developed within HP. UPS software can't be that hard to do...

If support isn't released soon, we will be looking at other UPS and rack monitoring options.