108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Remote Deployment Utility Crashes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

HP Remote Deployment Utility Crashes

I use the Version Control Repository Manager with SIM 4.1 to manage updates. I also copy PSPs into the same directory. Today when I tried to run setup.exe, while it was scanning the packages directory, it crashed with a "Runtime Error! setup.exe abnormal program termination". It was scanning the packages and got into the 70s before it died.

Any insight? I'm guessing either a package is corrupt or something is wrong, but it doesn't say what file killed it. Is there a quicker solution than doing a process of elimination on the 100s of files present?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Larry Shaw
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: HP Remote Deployment Utility Crashes

I had a similar situation.

HP Support told me that this is a known issue and that the newer versions of RDU cannot handled the format of control files for older update files. As a result, we need to put the newer PSPs in a separate folder along with newer firmware and BIOS updates and execute them from that folder rather than from the VCR directory.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Thanks! Too bad they can't make the RDU work with older updates.
tbone72
Frequent Advisor

Derek,

RDU(setup.exe, setupc.exe, and setupex.exe) is backward compatible with all versions of components(old and new). The issue you are seeing is caused by two components that have bad data inside the component. HP is aware of the issue and will be releasing fixed components shortly. The components that have the problem are cp004919 and cp004625 - "HP Drive Key Boot Utility". Just delete these components from your repository and then run RDU.