cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SAS 2TB drives flash amber and then clears

richten
Occasional Visitor

HP SAS 2TB drives flash amber and then clears

I am new to the HP Proliant server line, so please forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this question....

I have a DL380 G8 with Smart Array P421 and three Storageworks enclosures attached with 2Tb SAS drives config'd with multiple RAID 5 and RAID 10 arrays.   Yesterday we noticed 4 drives in one of the enclosures had flashing amber LEDs on them.   The green LEDs were still on as well, however, I didn't take note of the actual flashing pattern of the green and amber LEDs. :(  So, I checked the status of the drives thru the ILO and all showed good.  I checked the status thru the Systems Management page and all showed good there.  We have Insight monitoring this server and it didnt report any errors on the drives either. 

Thru Systems Management page, I drilled into the Storage controller and attempted to identify one of the drives in question with the UID light.  As soon as I did this on the single drive, all amber lights cleared on all four drives.  So, I am wondering what is going on here...were those drives reported valid issues?  If so, why didn't any of the managment tools report an issue?  I saw something similar to this on a different Proliant server with the exact same hardware config a couple of months ago.  Drive with amber LED that was cleared when I ran ACU diagnostics.

I am hoping someone could provide some insight on this.  Thanks in advance.

Richie

3 REPLIES
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: HP SAS 2TB drives flash amber and then clears

Hi,

In rare cases there could be some firmware issues with the drives.

You may refer to this doc for drive led details:

SAS or SATA Hard Disk Drive LED Combination.

Gen8 SmartDrive LED Combination.

Capture the drive model number in question and see if there are any firmware issues or post the model number here.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

richten
Occasional Visitor

Drive Model Number is HP MB2000FBZPN  Firmware HPD1

richten
Occasional Visitor

Well, a year and a half later I still see this same issue every few months.  I have 4 Prolaint DL-380s with attached D2600s all in the exact same configuration.  This has happened a least a couple of times on each of the four servers.  The last time this happened (today), ELEVEN drive lights were flashing amber.  Go into the Systems Management and all appears Green.  As soon as you start up ACU all lights go blue and the amber is cleared.  Run ACU diags and it reports no errors.  After exiting ACU then all drive lights are green again.  

I opened a support case months ago and they had no idea why this was happening.  Had me update controller and drive firmware, but that didnt fix the issue.  This is still happening ever few months on one of the four servers.  Does anyone have any current information on this?

Thanks