Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SAS disk rescue

Nalin_2
Occasional Visitor

HP SAS disk rescue

Hi,

We have a HP server Hp DL 380 G5 with smart array p400/512mb. That's giving us a "NTDETECt Failure". We feel that the ntdetect.com file is missing or has been moved to another location.

we have tried to boot this server with Knoppix but because knoppix doesn't seem to have the drivers can't see the disks.

so we have another Proliant dl380 /G4 with empty SAS slots but on p600 controller. We want to see if we could use this machine to move the file back or use it to put the files back.

if I start the server with the disk in it the empty slot, the server doesn't see anything. I have to sue smartstart to create an array and a logical drive. Will this delete everything in the drive ?

Many thanks for any help.

Nalin.
2 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SAS disk rescue

Yes, that is probably true, you can not view the RAID drives unless attached to the onboard SCSI card. Why not try and correct the Windows problem with a Repair Install? Or even the REpair Console to view the logical drive? Of course that does not answer the question what happened to Ntdetect.com
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Nalin_2
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP SAS disk rescue

Hi All,

Thanks for the response.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Bart PE's boot disk enabled me to access the SAS SFF disks and move the missing files.

I recommend this web site to anyoe looking to boot in to a non responsive server.

REgards
Nalin.

I am not sure why my profile is coming up as TARUN. My profile name is Nalin.