5456 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SERVERs MAC address

linogol_1
Occasional Advisor

HP SERVERs MAC address

HI,

We are deploying a Digital TV system for an operator.

WE need the Mac Address of the systems to ask for the proper licenses.

┬┐Does anybody knows if it's possibble to check the onboard Mac Address (Proliant DL385) so we could ask for the licensas as soon as possible.

Gretings!
5 REPLIES 5
Stussy
Advisor

cmd.exe
ipconfig /all
linogol_1
Occasional Advisor

I meant without plugin the machine.

SOmething like a stick with the Network information or somewhere in the motherboard.

If we have to plug it we need to connect it to the rack and it's a serious problem. Once plugged we can use ILO to check the Mac Address.

I forgot to mention this, sorry.

Thanks anyway
pj_11
Super Advisor

Hello,

Connect Server up in a test area.Press F9 to enter BIOS.There you have it the Mac address.
Save then exit then power of Server.This is done at the hardware level.Do not connect the Network cable when powering up.

PJ
linogol_1
Occasional Advisor

Hello Again,

Thanks again for the answer but as i said before i'm interesting in know if there's any way to check the Mac Address without switching on the server.

We have a lot of boxes full of equipment, and need to send the Mac Address to our suplier to activate the licenses and we want to avoid pluggin all the systems.

Thank you in advance
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

There's no miracle way to do this but here's my thoughts for what its worth!

If you are using extar PCI NICS in addition to the one on the system board, then...occasionally with PCI network cards there will be a small sticker on them with the MAC address on it. This is a common practice. Jetdiect cards have the MAC address on a sticker too which can be useful. But, I don't think that there is a sticker on the system board with this information but you may want to take a look just in case.

Failing this, I cannot see any other way other than powering it up. Have you tried looking at the sticker on the box that the product came in. It should have the serial number of the system, you might be lucky and the MAC address may be included too. If it is on the box can you trust it ?

I think to avoid potential problems you will need to verify this first hand. Do what the previous posted suggested and although it will take you some time to do you may be glad as it may save you problems in future should the wrong MAC address be used.
The sheep tell me what I need to know