108786 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM vs. HP SUM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM vs. HP SUM

This should be a pretty easy one for someone - I'm curious as to the differences between 'HP SIM' and 'HP SUM'.

I have gathered that HP SUM is just for updating, and I know SIM does some of that plus SNMP monitoring. IS HP SUM an 'upgrade' to HP SIM? Or just something that can be used 'in addition to'?

Thanks in Advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP SIM vs. HP SUM

Hi,

The only link between the 2 (except the name that are almost the same) is that HP SUM is integrated in (and so used by) SIM...

SIM is the foundation of the whole HP server management suite... It does full lifecycle management of the server, from deployment to decommisiong and all in between... Deployment, driver and firmware management (via SUM), health check, alerting, virtual machine management, performance management, insight remote support, and so on...

SUM is the management tool in front of the SPP Service Pack for Proliant, which was in the past the PSP Proliant Service Pack and Firmware DVD, and which is a repository of all drivers, applications, firmware and agents of all Proliant and most of the Integrity servers...

Hope it is a little more clear?

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP SIM vs. HP SUM

Yes - and I apologize for such a delayed response and 'accepting' the answer. 

I had to delay our new SIM server load for quite some time. If you happen to see this reply - does SUM change the way the repository works otherwise?

I mean - it used to be that SIM (in my experience) would just push out the PSP's uploaded to the repository; has (or can) that changed?

I do like how SUM works overall; it's pretty nice. I would like to get SIM setup to easily push/pull these HP SUM support packs...

I'll keep digging in the documents of course, but just in case anyone has some resources close at hand for this - good links would be appreciated!

Thank You~