Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SPP-2016.10 fails to boot in legacy mode on DL180 Gen9

DerKito
Occasional Visitor

HP SPP-2016.10 fails to boot in legacy mode on DL180 Gen9

Dear Community.

We're currently experiencing an unusual behavior of some of our DL180 Gen9 machines which were recently ordered from HPE. If the HP SPP (for upgrading the firmware) is booted in legacy-mode (UEFI works fine!) kernel messages are displayed, stating multiple "CPU soft lockups" and the system remains in an unresponsive state.

What could be the reason for the image not booting properly on some machines while others with the same HW-configuration load the image perfectly fine? We've tried this with several servers, all on factory defaults except for the Legacy/UEFI-Boot setting.

Help or some hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rene

1 REPLY
rccmum1
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP SPP-2016.10 fails to boot in legacy mode on DL180 Gen9

I've seen the same behaviour on the DL380 G9 servers we have with 2017.07.02 SPP ISO. It's just random.  HP support didn't help. Resetting the NVRAM is sort of hit and miss.  So I always switch to the UEFI mode before doing the SPP firmware update. I suspect the mini linux kernel the SPP may have some sort of issues when the boot mode is "Legacy BIOS" 

Have you gotten any update from HP Support or have you concluded a probable cause of the problem?

Thanks