4086 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Scripting Toolkit for Linux 9.50 not working

LeoKurz
Occasional Advisor

HP Scripting Toolkit for Linux 9.50 not working

Hello,

I created a boot cd with STK 9.50 but hpsum won't run on it. I digged through the logs and found out that rpm is not working (missing libraries!). Anyone any idea how to fix this? Anyone any successful hpsum running on STK CD 9.50?

__Leo

12 REPLIES 12
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Scripting Toolkit for Linux 9.50 not working

Which version of SUM?
You can check the SUM Documentation to determine required libraries.
5.x had a bunch of requirements including 32bit libraries on 64bit machines.
6.0 reduced the libraries required.

Go here and there are SUM User Guides
www.hp.com/go/spp/documentation
LeoKurz
Occasional Advisor

From what I've seen in the logs, hpsum uses rpm to unpack repositories and rpm doesn't work when the rpm libs are missing (the whole rpm subfolfder is missing under /usr/lib). I don't think this is a question which lib's are used or not used by hpsum. I use hpsum off the latest spp and I expect hpsum to run on an boot-iso created with the latest stk...

__Leo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

LeoKurz wrote:

From what I've seen in the logs, hpsum uses rpm to unpack repositories and rpm doesn't work when the rpm libs are missing (the whole rpm subfolfder is missing under /usr/lib). I don't think this is a question which lib's are used or not used by hpsum. I use hpsum off the latest spp and I expect hpsum to run on an boot-iso created with the latest stk...

__Leo

This thread should be renamed or deleted as the toolkit works as designed. The STK is pretty much a bare bones set of programs desgned to run the utilities that are packaged with the STK. hpsum is not included with the toolkit.  I know several toolkit and hpsum versions ago hpsum would function from within the toolkit, but as hpsum evolved it stopped working when copied into the toolkit. I'll pass the request along to the toolkit team that a customer is requesting hpsum to be included with the toolkit

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
LeoKurz
Occasional Advisor

HP Smart Update Manager User Guide Version 6.0, Page 7:
%<-----------snip

Key features of HP SUM include:

Remote offline deployment when used with the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit (HP ProLiant G7
and earlier servers), Scripting Toolkit (HP ProLiant Gen8 and later), iLO Virtual Media, or PXE
booted media

snap----------->%

HP Smart Update Best Practices Implementer Guide, Page 12:

%<-----------snip

You have multiple options for staging the server updates, if you want to apply offline updates:

For ProLiant G7 servers and earlier, use the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit . For
ProLiant Gen8 servers, use the Scripting Toolkit .

snap----------->%

Yes, I *do* read the manuals. Due to network and firewall restrictions, the stk aproach is the only way for us to deploy firmware in an automated, controlled and logged manner. If you tell me that this is not working for our 200+ blades and some standalone Proliants, the current call for proposals for the next generation serves in our datacenters will probably head for a new direction...

__Leo

Scott Hawks
Occasional Contributor

A little off topic, but where did you download the STK from?  i can not find the downloads anywhere.

LeoKurz
Occasional Advisor

:-) HP is world champion in hiding away useful technical information and replacing it by sales/marketing crab! You'll find the stk by going to the driver download of a recent server (I always use dl380p at the moment), select English, select a Linux flavor (e.g. Redhat 6 64bit), and go right down the list to "Utility - Tools" et  voilá!

HTH

__Leo

LeoKurz
Occasional Advisor

... and for the Windows STK, select any Windows OS (2008R2) and then the same way.

Scott Hawks
Occasional Contributor

Geesh...   I have been beating my head on my desk trying to find this.

Thank you so much!!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

LeoKurz wrote:

Yes, I *do* read the manuals. Due to network and firewall restrictions, the stk aproach is the only way for us to deploy firmware in an automated, controlled and logged manner. If you tell me that this is not working for our 200+ blades and some standalone Proliants, the current call for proposals for the next generation serves in our datacenters will probably head for a new direction...

__Leo

You got me there, I wasn't aware that they had added that into the SUM documentation.  Have you opened a support case yet?

Just taking a quick look, I see your rpm error. I created th rpm directory under /usr/lib and touched /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc. When I run rpm, it now spits out the help screen instead of an error. Not sure if that is enough to fix the problem, but something you could try real quick.

regards

--jv

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!