5207 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Server Proliant dl360 G8 - Raid Controller P421i zm

pad_pet
Occasional Contributor

HP Server Proliant dl360 G8 - Raid Controller P421i zm

Hello,
I have purchased a DL 360 with P421i zm raid controller.
I have configured the server with Rais 1+0 and now i want to purchase a Raid Controller p421i-512MB.
My question is if it is possible to migrate the Raid conf from the existing Raid Controller P421i/zm to the new P421i-512MB without to loos the data.

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: HP Server Proliant dl360 G8 - Raid Controller P421i zm

Hi,

Both are P421 contollers the only difference is the ZM (Zero Memory) and 512MB cache.

If you are upgrading to a different controller model then you may get a BSOD because there will be no drivers available.

Raid configuration is stored on hard drives, no question of migrating raid configuration between controllers.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@pad_pet wrote:

Hello,
I have purchased a DL 360 with P421i zm raid controller.
I have configured the server with Rais 1+0 and now i want to purchase a Raid Controller p421i-512MB.
My question is if it is possible to migrate the Raid conf from the existing Raid Controller P421i/zm to the new P421i-512MB without to loos the data.

You don't need to purchase a seperate RAID controller, just purchase the FBWC module for the current controller.

Options:

HP 1GB P-series Smart Array Flash Backed Write Cache 631679-B21

HP 2GB P-series Smart Array Flash Backed Write Cache 631681-B21

HP 512MB P-series Smart Array Flash Backed Write Cache 661069-B21

But to answer your question, yes you can move the disks to a new controller without data loss. The only caveat is you move to the same model or a newer controller. The RAID configuration information is stored in a special area on each disk (RIS)

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hi @pad_pet

Jimmy Vance has some excellent information. I would just like to give you the links to the options Jimmy Vance has mentioned.  HP 1GB P-series Smart Array Flash Backed Write Cache, HP 2GB P-series Smart Array Flash Backed Write Cache, and the HP 512MB P-series Smart Array Flash Backed Write Cache.  I see you wanted the 512MB, but the other two options are also viable.  Please let me know if you need further assistance and I'd be happy to help.