1747998 Members
4770 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Service Pack for ProLiant

James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Yikes, another month and a half wait.  Certainly sounds like they are having a lot of trouble with this new service pack.

d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Despite what the HP technician told me yesterday it seems that It's available for download :
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html

DiskDrive
Visitor

So, it looks like a lot of information on SUM, but otherwise, there's very little or contradictory information on the SPP.

1. They don't explain how this can be used to build new servers (if it's supposed to be in part a replacement for SmartStart).
  2. They claim in some of the quick specs that all the ISO's are supposed to be bootable, but the download page reports only the full image is bootable and the others are not, suggesting this can only be used for already-deployed servers.
  3. There are references that this can be used with the HP USB Key Utility, although the latest version, 1.6.0, doesn't recognize the big ISO as a valid ISO file.

For as long as they've delayed the release of this thing, you'd think they have all their ducks in a row by now. :-(

Jase4772
Regular Advisor

This does seem a bit of a let down so far. All they've done (on first glance) is changed the menu around on the last Firmware DVD.

Echoing the previous post

1) I was surprised to boot the large ISO to find only firmware. Where's Smartstart?

2) Not checked the other ISO's as yet but I guess these are replacements for the PSP?

3) This does work with the HP Utility but as I've found with most of the recent ISO's from HP I've had to mount them in programs like MagicDisk or Daemon Tools to be able to access them. 

HP once again creating stuff that you can't actually use with their own stuff!!!

Disappointing as always.

James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Yep, very buggy too.  I've tried to do a remote deployment from two different systems and it gets discovery errors and crashed both times.

TheFabSan
Occasional Advisor

i'm pretty disappointed as well. documentation is lacking. what would be great if there was a how-to video posted some where. It'll only take a couple of minutes from HP and it will save us folks a ton of searching for answers.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

From what I understood, this will not be a replacement for Smartstart...

What HP wants to create (first) is a single tool to update all HP server components with 1 version number...

Now we had PSP 8.7, FW CD 9.30, for OA and VC there were other numbers and tools...

With SPP they want to create 1 HPSUM that will cover everything. This is the start.

In a second phase (1Q 2012) there will be a new release of HP SUM that will optimize the update process... The release now is a start already with 1 release version and 1 tool... The next version will be much better (I saw some beta demo's under NDA so cannot tell more). But believe me that it is going the right way... I am using these products already for more than 15 years so...

I mount the ISO also inside the OS but you can perfectly copy the /hp/swpackages folder to some directory and run the HP SUM program from there...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Does the SPP in automatic mode (booting from the iso) work for you? I've tried it on a BL460c G7 and a DL385 G2 and on both systems it gets stuck trying to reboot at the end. Just stays there with a black screen and the default x11 cursor...

Wolfgang_P

Hello Community.

He installed a HP DL380 G7 with the new HP SPP2011090.2011_0930.13.

(on a virgin windows 2008 R2 + SP1)

I had the following issues:

* the Copy to USB - Tool (cp014214) doesn't recognize the iso - File as valid.

*The LogViewer doesn't work.

* it took about 2-3 Reboots to get everything installed.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

DIdn't try this one yet... I will try to test it as soon as I have a spare blade available in my test environment...Didn't here yet about issues but never say never...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !