1753486 Members
4503 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID - Increasing drive sizes

amn70
Occasional Visitor

HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID - Increasing drive sizes

We have a Proliant server running Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation with the B110i Raid Array Embedded. Currently it is set up with two 160GB hard drives set up in RAID 1 configuration. The volume is set up with two partitions, C Drive (the system partition) and the D drive (The data partition). Well the C partition is almost full. Initially I wanted to try and steal space from the D partition but while Windows will let me shrink the D partition it will not let me expand the C partition. So what I want to do is replace both hard drives with larger ones. Trying to figure out the best way to do it. This is what I had in mind:

Purchase two larger hard drives (1TB is appropriate for our needs)

Create two partitions on them in the sizes needed. Thinking dividing it 50/50.

Clone both partitions from the existing array to the two partitions on one of the new hard drives.

Remove old the old drives and insert the new cloned one and the new uncloned one.

Rebuild the array.

I assume at that point the array will rebuild the mirror on the second new one and all will be good.

Let me know if I have this right or if I what the best procedure to pull this off is.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would suggest as follows:

1. Check drive size compatibility with the server/controller.

2. Take a backup of the existing drives.

3. Install new drives and create Raid and Logical drives as required.

4. Install OS and restore the data from backup.

Refer to page#17 in this document.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01706551

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

amn70
Occasional Visitor

Ok, I figured I could do this but was trying to think of option that is quicker. If I do as you suggest and backup the volume and remove both old drives from the controller and install the new ones and create a new Raid 1 volume, reload the OS and restore the backup and for some reason, worst case scenario things don't go as planned can I put the old drives back and somehow boot the old Raid 1 volume contained on the old drives or is the old raid 1 volume on them toast at that point as far as being bootable and usable?

Thanks,

Adam

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello @amn70

Suman_1978 gave excellent information on Increasing drive sizes, if information does not fit your needs.  The only other option I can think of is talking to HP Total care at 1-800-334-5144, 24hours a day 7days a week or visit our HP Support Center web site for assistance with increasing the drive size.  If there is anything else I may be able to help you with please do not hesitate to let me know.