Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Smart Array B140i ESXi slow performance

Highlighted
Rolf Genster
Advisor

Re: HP Smart Array B140i ESXi slow performance

Hi MariusMoise,

I had an issue with the P440 and the backup-battery. Please make sure you use the setting "Use write cache even when backup battery fails" (don't know the exact phrase right now) in the array controller settings. And enable write back cache.

On one ML Gen9 we had to remove the brand new battery pack for the cache to work (after 2 reboots / settings checks).

The tips mentioned above (Power settings / ESXi driver) did not the trick here.

Highlighted
Michael8
Visitor

Hi MariusMoise,

I've had the same issue using non HPE disks. What I found that yields the best performance for the B140i is using "scsi-hpdsa-5.5.0.12-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib" driver from ESX 5.5. I've tested it with all versions up to 6.0 U3. After an install/update, you must apply this driver. 

I have the same issue with the B120i, so I use "scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib".

With both adapters, I've used non HPE SSDs and SATA disks. Performance is what you'd expect from these adapters.

You may find these drivers from the HPE vib depot.

If you find a newer driver that works well, please let me know.

Cheers,

Michael

Highlighted
matarvai
Frequent Advisor

When I installed that HPDSA or newer Vmware only shows drives, not the array created on Smart array software. Performance is great, but it only uses one drive. Tried scsi-hpdsa-5.5.0.12-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib and scsi-hpdsa-5.5.0.26-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib

Same problem. Is there some way to get RAID1 and RAID10 with this performance?

Highlighted
matarvai
Frequent Advisor

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1008556814&swItemId=MTX_050765dc55f243f8950ebb64b2&swEnvOid=4166#tab-history

Newest vib helped. It had not installed correctly before. Now everything works without issues

Highlighted

Almost an 12 months from my first fight with the problem :)

My workarround was to  add   440ar 2G storage controller  module  on NEW  ESXi  configurations or Hyper-V  Hypervisor  with B140 

But I have to schedule a fix window to try this  new drivers  with the costumer servers  ...... :)

Niksavoy
Highlighted
jvandenbroek
Frequent Visitor

After days of debugging I've concluded that the physical disk write cache setting simply doesn't work on this controller. This server is going to be connected to an UPS, so I'd like to use the disk write cache, but it simply doesn't matter whether it's enabled or not. I get decent sequential write speeds when using big blocks (256KB) with at least 16 concurrent I/O workers, but only when using thick provisioned eagerly zeroed disks (otherwise the performance is stuck on 10MB/s). But anything smaller and with fewer workers is just utterly slow. Really disappointed, the server I'm going to replace running on Linux software raid (mdadm) has a much higher write performance because of the write caches..

So HP please allow us to use the physical disk cache, that should be too hard to support..