1752798 Members
6242 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Smart Array P410 and Seagate ST8000AS0002

dolphs
Occasional Advisor

HP Smart Array P410 and Seagate ST8000AS0002

Hi - I like to confirm Seagate's ST8000AS0002 8Tb hard drives can be used in RAID5 in your HP Smart Array P410 RAID-controller, meaning the disks will not be kicked out of the array, etc.

I like to attach 8 hard drives so 56000 GiB will be available to my home cloud server. As these drives use Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) it might become tricky once the RAID-array needs to be rebuild, but for home purposes I guess it may take up a night or even a weekend ... my home cloud is not meant to be running 24/7 and only needed on occassional base, thus lots of spin up - it is mainly for archiving purposes.

Looking forward to your view on this

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Refer to the product QuickSpecs for any compatibility questions:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111713.pdf

BTW, Non-HP hardware may not work on HP servers, the reason being the Firmware not compatible between HP Server and the third party hardware.

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee.

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Rob_at_NSIT
Advisor

I see three issues.

One. Seagate.

Two. SATA.

Three. Be aware that all HP SATA drives especially Seagate has custom firmware that slows them down a little but greatly improves reliability over retail.  I will not buy retail Seagates.  But have quite a few with the HP27 firmware that are rock solid.

I've had good luck with Hitachi and Toshiba retail drives on HP P controlers but only problems with WD and Seagate. Note: I haven't used the WD owned Hitachi yet on a HP.

dolphs
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

thanks for your reply. here's the official answer from SEAGATE:

Dear Sir:  Thank you for contacting Seagate Support. We appreciate your business with us. Based on your objective, the Seagate Archive HDD (ST8000AS00020 will be a suitable drive for you. These are Enterprise Hard Drives that enable the highest enterprise storage capacities and engineered for 24×7 workloads of 180TB per year. For additional assistance, feel free to contact us at:  http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/about/contact-us/technical-support/ Regards,  Seagate Support

So that makes things quite interesting although I will thoroughly think things over, first I need to try if this conroller will work with an Asus P9D-I motherboard. I know HP products are often not compatible on other brands, but want to give this board a try.

dolphs
Occasional Advisor

for those that are interested - the ASUS mainboard mentioned works - as I can configure an array with the HP Array Config Utility , using ORCA I did not succeed ( yet ). However to be on topic need to investigate more in depth the drives to be used in my situation for my own cloud. Seagate states their drivers " Archive HDD v2 ST8000AS0002 " are supported, while other people have different thoughts about it. In this particular case it should work as " cold storage ", however data will be accessed ( RO ) and writeing will not be to often, eg. synching from media once/twice a week ...