1748031 Members
5000 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Smart Array P410i in slot UNKNOWN

ScottRCI
Occasional Advisor

HP Smart Array P410i in slot UNKNOWN

We have a DL360 G7 that recently 'lost' communication w/ all the drives.  We replaced the P410 card/battery w/ the same part no. (505908-001).  Now we seem to be able to only occasionally see the smart controller (on boot we sometimes get the HP Smart Array P410i notification (w/ the option to setup, etc) and it shows as in 'Slot 0', but sometimes it does not appear (only to loop back and reboot w/ missing disk error over and over).

After running the SSA (via DVD) we either get an erorr that the P410i Smart array is in "slot UNKNOWN" or we see all the info correctly on the times it does appear/work.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: HP Smart Array P410i in slot UNKNOWN

Hi @ScottRCI 

I believe you have replaced cache module- 505908-001 and not the controller (P410i),

If intermittently you are lossing all drives then please do check following:

1. Reseat drive backplane, backplane cables,drives and cache module.

2. Update controller and drives firmware to latest.

Hope this helps,

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

ScottRCI
Occasional Advisor

Ok - took it all apart and reset the backplane pcs.  I have tried the latest SP for Proliant (G7.1) however there were no firmware updates that were not already installed.

There does not appear to be any backplane specific firmware available for download - probably part of another firmware package?

ScottRCI
Occasional Advisor

I have found two updates for the backplane firmware (to go to 1.18 whereas I have either 1.14 or 1.16 on the G7s).

There is an rpm file and a scexe file.  I have downloaded both, added them to my HP SUM USB stick (into hp/swpackages).  When doing the inventory it shows that there are two components in 'Additional Package'.  

When I get to the deploy however, the only update mentioning Smart Array says it is already up-to-date.

The download (at least the .rpm file is hp-firmware-smartarray-pic24k20-1.18-5.1.i386.rpm which appears to be 32 bit.  Not sure if that will work or is applicable to my system, can't seem to find a 64 bit version either.

????

ScottRCI
Occasional Advisor

Ok - I was able to use the 7.6.0 update to install the 1.18 firmware (using the rpm file ).  However, it now can not see the Smart Array / disks at all.  The Smart Array prompt/splash does not appear, and now an error that there is no boot/system disk. (Non system disk or disk error)

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Based on the initial post: Controller is not detecting intermittently, that is the primary issue i believe.

I hope it must have discovered again after reboot/power cycle.

As i suggested earlier, 

Did you updated controller firmware to latest?

Latest available is 6.64.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_5e52f965d84f41c2bb65d33b58#tab-history

also there is latest System BIOS Version of 2018, 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_eeaa965a7d8a4990bcc245dfc3#tab4

If possible update BIOS and Smart array to latest and check.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo