ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748228 Members
4502 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) bug?

chenriques
Occasional Contributor

HP Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) bug?

Hi.

I've a ProLiant ML350 G6 server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1.

My server was very outdated, so I downloaded the HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2012.06.0 (B).

Most of the software\firmware updated without any problem, but one of the updates is in a loop state.

Everytime I run the HP Smart Update Manager it always detect one update:

Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array P212, P410, P410i, P711m, P712m, and P812

Installed Version: 5.06

Available Version: 5.70

(see attachment hp_01.png)

On the HP System Management, in the Installed Software also states that I have a component that I suppose to be the Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array with version 5.06, although the component name is "3245103c".

(see attachment hp_02.png)

When I try to install this component from the HP SUM I get this message:

"Not updated - already current"

(see log file in attachment hp_log.txt)

I don't understand what is happening and how I can solve this problem.

If I really have the version 5.06, it's very outdated, and HP says that version 5.70 is a critical update.

How can I really know what version is installed and should I do anything about this (force the installation)? 

Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro

HI,

You May Run the Array Configuration Utility or Array diagnostic utility to know the frimware version of smart array controller.

Reboot the Server and then try updating online firmware again.

let me know the outcome

hope this helps,

How to Say Thanks... Click on Star Kudos

Cheers!

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

chenriques
Occasional Contributor

Hi.

In the Array Configuration Utility I can see that the firmware is version 5.06. (check the attachment)

So, I don't understand why HP SUM fails to update this firmware.

I already rebooted the server 2 times, and the result is always the same.

Thanks.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi

Checked the released date for both SPP and Smart array controller firmware. they were released on the same date.

I see a smart component for smart array controller firmware which you can directly install.

5.70 (4 Jun 2012)

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3884316&spf_p.tpst=psiSwdMain&spf_p.prp_psiSwdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Dlang%253Den%257Ccc%253DUS%257CprodSeriesId%253D3884315%257CswItem%253DMTX-ec66b4b7bb0f47bfa2f181e86c%257CprodNameId%253D3884316%257CswEnvOID%253D4064%257CswLang%253D8%257Cmode%253D3%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCache...

About the SPP

Need to check the exact smart array controller firmware file which is available in its repository. there is an option to enforce the update in SPP but I would not suggest that.

Please refer HP Guided Troubleshooting for SPP options

http://h20584.www2.hp.com/hpgt/guides/select?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=5104018

Hope this helps,

Please Click on Star Kudos if you think information provided is helpful.

Regards,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

chenriques
Occasional Contributor

Hi.

I've downloaded the smart array controller firmware v5.70 and at the start of the setup process it said the same thing, that this version was already installed. But, this setup gives the possibility to install it anyway, so I did it.

After the setup I checked the smart array firmware version and now it's correct, with version 5.70.

I ran HP SUM again, and everything is up-to-date.

Don't know what happened with this setup, why it was always saying that the version 5.70 was already installed when the server only had version 5.06, but everything is fine now.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

Good to know that it finally got updated with the correct version.

Possibly the previous firmware update did not complete sucessfully thereby showing the old firmware.

Cheers :)

Aftab

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo