HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Smart Update Manager, unable to connect to CIM Service on ESXi 5.0

JeremyHagan
Occasional Contributor

HP Smart Update Manager, unable to connect to CIM Service on ESXi 5.0

Hi,

I have a bunch of HP DL380p G8 servers built with ESXi 5.0 Update 2 using the HP custom ESXi install ISO. All of the hardware integration is accessible via vCenter, so it would appear that the CIM service is operational.

There is an iLO firwmware update I am trying to push out using HP SPP (Smart Update Manager, aka HP SUM). When I enter the host details including the root username and password and attempt to run discovery on the server it fails with the error: Error: HP SUM cannot proceed with the update, HP CIM Providers are missing.

After some research on the HP site it says that if I use the HP custom ESXi installer that these providers should be present and I think the Hardware Status stuff in vCenter working is proof that they are there.

I have checked the firewall and the CIM ports allowed are 5988/5989, although looking at the listening ports, only 5989 is listening on 0.0.0.0 and 5988 is listening on 127.0.0.1

Can anyone provide any insight on this or advice?

2 REPLIES
JeremyHagan
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP Smart Update Manager, unable to connect to CIM Service on ESXi 5.0

Further to this, I can see a successful network connection on SSH and then 5989 when it is doing the scan, so I don't think it is a firewall issue.

JeremyHagan
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP Smart Update Manager, unable to connect to CIM Service on ESXi 5.0

I have worked out why this is happening. In order to clear an erroneous Hardware Storage Status warning in vCenter I had installed the Recommended HP Update "* RECOMMENDED * HP Agentless Management Service Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 5.x (American, International)". This replaced the hp-smx-provider vib with the hp-smx-limited vib, which clearly doesn't support HP SUM. Reverting to the hp-smx-limited vib restored HP SUM functionality, but also unfortunately restored the invalid warning message too.