1748185 Members
4096 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Smart Update Manger - Linux Target

mkitchinhp
Occasional Advisor

HP Smart Update Manger - Linux Target

I'm trying unsuccessfully with HP Smart Update manager (SmartStart 8.5 version) to push out PSP to a Linux target from a Linux source. Both installs are CentOS 5.5 64 Bit. I have tried updating /etc/redhat-release to reflect an RHEL system like I have done in the past. I think my issues start before it makes it that far though. I get to the point where I'm specifying a target system. I supply it the root login. Firewall and SELinux are disabled on both systems. Both can SSH to each other. I get to step 2 of 3 where it states 'Connecting'. It then fails with 'Host skipped Due to connection error'. That is about it. I don't know where to find any more info. I have installed compat-libstdc, expect, tcl, lm_sensors, net-snmp and perl on the remote system. I'm not sure what else I may need to do. Can anyone provide any tips? Thanks,
Matthew
5 REPLIES 5
mkitchinhp
Occasional Advisor

Follow up: I know it is taking the credentials, because it gets an invalid user error if I put in something incorrect.
It goes through these steps:
-Contacting hosts
-Checking system for installed items
-Initializing
-connecting
Then fails.
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

The most likely cause of this problem would be the firewall is blocking access on either the local or remote side. You could try temporarily stopping the firewall (service iptables stop) on both systems to see if the connection can be made.

There could also be an issue with routers blocking the ports needed by HPSUM to communicate with the remote Linux target. A list of the ports needed are listed in the HPSUM User's Guide on the web.

Worst case, you can create a script to SSH the files to the remote target and execute them locally.
mkitchinhp
Occasional Advisor

Firewall is disabled (iptables stopped) on both machines. They are on the same subnet, so there is no router involved. I don't install desktops on my production servers, so I can't run it locally on the HP server itself. That is why I'm trying to push it from a remote machine I built strictly for this purpose. If there was a way I knew of that I could run them locally on the server, I would definitely do that. Is there any sort of debug mode or log to troubleshoot this? I'm currently having to install a very old Support Pack on my servers because I cannot make this one work. This is a deal breaker for me on these machines.
chris3110

Hi,

have you been able to move on with this issue? I'm facing exactly the same problem and don't know what to do. I've tried to run hpsum with the
-veryverbose option but all I get in the logs is these unhelpful lines:

"HPSUM exiting with status: A general failure occurred. See the error log for details"

and

"Received Target Exception: UnknownException : SoapSession::SoapSession : unknown exception!"

Thanks,
Chris

mkitchinhp
Occasional Advisor

I was never able to get it to remotely install. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with a HP tech webex'd into my PC, and he couldn't figure it out either. I was able to get it installed with the silent option.