New Discussion

Re: HP Smartstart - waiting for valid media to be inserted

SOLVED
Go to solution
Agha Nawaz
Advisor

HP Smartstart - waiting for valid media to be inserted

Hi All,

I am trying to install Windows 2008 Ent Server R2 x 64 on HP DL380 G7 server but it is stuck when i insert the windows dvd "waiting for valid media to be inserted" nothing is happening, i tried many times restart server and tried again but no luck. can anyone please suggest.

i tried smartstart 8.50, 8.60 x 64 bit but no luck.

can i boot direct from windows DVD and install OS after creating RAID 5 array and logical drive using HP Smartstart. what is the difference if i install OS to use windows DVD directly.

Thanks.

Agha

8 REPLIES 8
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor
Solution

You can boot and install directly from the Windows disk after creating your RAID 5 and logical drive.

(BTW, no need to use SmartStart to do this, use ORCA / F8 on POST when your array controller is initializing)

Once the Windows installation is complete, just download the latest SPP for that model of server and install it over the top which will install all the required drivers and HP utilities for you.

Thanks

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Agha Nawaz
Advisor

Thanks Mark.

i booted from windows dvd but receiving hpssbem.exe Error during Windows Server 2008 Installation and autoattend.xml not found.

i downloaded the full ISO image from Microsoft license centre, is it dvd problem

Agha

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hi Agha,

Yes, it sounds like a problem with your image / DVD to me.

Try your new download onto a new DVD and see what happens...

Thanks

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The errors you are seeing are from the failed assisted install as the system is attempting to boot from the hard drive and not the DVD media.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Agha Nawaz
Advisor

Thanks a lot Mark.

is it necessary to install SPP after OS installation. and is it available in smartstart cd?

Thanks

Agha

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

All the drivers and utilities are availble on the SmartStart CD too but this will be all older versions, ie. whatever versions were available when the SmartStart CD was produced.

The last version of SmartStart was 8.70 but even this is out of date now.

You used to be able to download the latest PSP (Proliant support pack) which was basically everything on the SmartStart CD apart from the assisted install stuff and a few other things.

The PSP migrated to the SPP (Support pack for Proliant) last year which is basically the PSP and the Firmware Update CD in one package.

The latest version of the SPP available for your model is dated 19 Feb 2013 and is available to download here...

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=4091432&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4064%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken#Software%20-%20CD-ROM

Thanks,

Mark...

Agha Nawaz
Advisor

Thanks.

I checked this link but confused, do i need to download one by one below list and install it on Windows 2K8 R2 server? and do i need to install all of these?

Download index

Driver - Network
Driver - Storage
Driver - Storage Controller
Driver - Storage Tape
Driver - System Management
Application - System Management
BIOS - System ROM
Firmware - CD-ROM
Firmware - DVD
Firmware - Lights-Out Management
Firmware - Network
Firmware - Power Management
Firmware - Storage Controller
Firmware - Storage Tape
Software - CD-ROM
Software - Lights-Out Management
Software - Network
Software - Solutions
Software - Storage Controller
Software - Support Pack
Software - System Management
Utility - Network
Utility - Tools

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

No sorry, its just the download under the Software Support Pack section that you need...

Thanks

Mark...