ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753814 Members
7988 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Storage Caching Settings (ESXi host)

timjeffries

HP Storage Caching Settings (ESXi host)

I have 4 HP servers that run as my ESXi hosts. They are setup for RAID 1 (ADM) as they only run the ESXi hypervisor operating system. All my VMs run on a NETAPP SAN. I have gone into the caching settings on the RAID controller on the ESXi hosts and tweaked some settings. I have no idea if it's doing anything or what they really should be. I have added more read cache as a starter since the hosts aren't writing date very frequently ( I assume ).

What kind of settings would be optimal for the smart array caches on ESXi hosts. There is not really any information that i've found and it's annoying because I know these controllers are set to last or perform best in a wide array of scenarios but... what about MY scenario. What do I want them to set to when they're ESXi hosts. There are quite a few settings for adaptive failure, physical write cache, caching settings 10/90 for read and write. Do i want a 50/50 split on my ESXi host on the cache or do i still want the 10/90 split? Anyone who knows these things, please share the knowledge.