108790 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Teaming statistics - understanding what the details are telling me

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon White
Regular Advisor

HP Teaming statistics - understanding what the details are telling me

I have a DL560 G1 with two NC7781 NICs in the server. They are teamed together and getting some bizarre statistics. There has been some bizarre loss of connections to this server which is running SQL. In an attempt to isolate the problem, I am examining the network statistics on the server with its NICs and the HP Procurve switch statistics.

The switch is reporting that the port that NIC #1 is plugged into reported 2 errors. The port that the 2nd NIC is plugged into reported 5 errors.

I then opened the HP Network Management utility on the server and opened the statistics of the two NICs in the team. NIC 1 reported no errors on the Transmit or the Receive statistics. NIC 2 reported 2 'Overruns' and 2 'No Buffers' on the Receive statistics. These statistics clearly DON'T match what the switch has seen. Any ideas on the differences?

If anybody can explain what HP means exactly by 'Overruns' and 'No Buffers', it would also help quite a bit.
No matter where you go, there you are....
2 REPLIES 2
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

like always try to have latest drivers / firmware and NCU version and also try this

Increase the resources to the NIC modifying "Flow Control" value, increasing "Number of Receive Descriptors" and increasing "Number of Coalesce Buffers" using NCU.

you can do this in NCU going to Advance Settings:

The minimum, maximum and default values are presented when each setting is highlighted in "Advanced Settings" list. Some more information about those settings can be found at NCU help.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
ThierryT
Super Advisor

Hi

What do "No Buffers" and "Receive Error" means? Does the value should be 0 all the time and if its not then something is wrong?

Using HP NC550SFP on Win2k8 64 bit

Thanks in advance