1748129 Members
3761 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Teaming with one NIC active

Twan.van.Beers

HP Teaming with one NIC active

Hi ya,

I've got a problem with some of our servers, they are built with HP Teaming 8.20 and the 8.48 network drivers for the NC77* network cards. The servers are all DL360/380 G3 and G4

The problem is that if one of the cards is unplugged and the server is rebooted, then the team doesn't get a network connection at all... The message on the card say "Acquiring Network Address", eventhough the team is set to a fixed ip. this is irrespective of the switch connected to or the type of team used

To fix it I can either
- disable/enable the team, which works until the next time the box is rebooted
- disable the unplugged interface

Is there a fundamental problem with 8.20 which means that it won't work properly if a team is set up, but only one of them is connected?

I have tried:
- delete and recreate the team
- remove the NICs and team from device manager and readd
- re-install the drivers and NIC teaming software
- fixing the speed/duplex settings

It is happening on a number of servers against the 2950 cisco switch and the 6509 switch...

switch port speed/duplex settings match the server's, portfast is on

Any ideas what I can do to avoid this problem? Or can anyone confirm that they also have this problem?

Cheers
Twan
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Teaming with one NIC active

.... remove the NICs and team from device manager and read .....
What happened if you Uninstall teaming utility from Properties of NIC and use same settings for Speed on the switch and card ?
Twan.van.Beers

Hi ya,

If I don't use the Teaming at all, then both NICs are ok. It is only a problem when I team the NICs and leave one of the NICs unplugged.

Then when the server reboots I don't get any network connectivity

Cheers
Twan
J. Warren Carter

Hello,
I too am having the same problem. I have a DL385 running W2k3 ENT. Svr. I recently updated the NIC teaming Software and the driver for NC77* cards to versions released in May '06. I do not plan on leaving the second NIC disconnected. However, I am currently in a lab and only have access to 1 connection for each of my servers.

Twan, I have tried all of your same processes (stated in your post) and like you, had no success. MY hope is to get an answer for this "Problem" (if it is a legit problem) from someone at HP Tech Support. One would think that the teaming would still work even though there is only on live NIC. Sometimes, in the production world, a CAT5 cable and/or Switch Port will go bad.

I would hate to think that my teaming would not connect if the server was restared.
If I find an answer, I'll be sure to post.

WARREN