4030 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP branded Windows Server 2008 r2 and Hyper V

JimmySvensson
Occasional Visitor

HP branded Windows Server 2008 r2 and Hyper V

Hi!

For the moment I have a prefect working proliant 350 g6 server with 2 Xeon E5530 processor and 24 Gb ram. I have installed a HP branded windows server 2008 r2 standard swedish and I am running remote desktop services. The users are only using 12 % of the server capacity so I want to Virtualize the environment. I do a complete backup of this server using the built in server backup. Now i wanna reinstall this server with the HP branded media and then make a restore after I installed Hyper V in a virtual machine. But before I did this in production environment I tried to restore this image in my own HP hyper v environment. But when I boot on the branded media inside my created hyper v computer I get that the platform is not supported. If I use another original microsoft media and then choose to recover from the backup it seems to work all the way. But after a reboot I get strange letters and when I try to login I get a strange error that make no sense.

I also tried to restore this to another HP server not running hyper v without problems with both hp and microsoft media,

Is there a solution to this or am I stuck(not able to virtualize) just because I installed the server with HP media? I do not wanna do the big work that it would mean to reinstall this server just to get it virtual.

regards

Jimmy

2 REPLIES 2
JimmySvensson
Occasional Visitor

I found the solution myself. I had to run hpactive.cmd file that was placed on the branded media after I installed the OS and Hyper V roll.

Hope this help!

prestigeitnz
Occasional Visitor

for HyperV 2012

edit  hpactive.cmd and change the The WMI root\virtualization to \virtualization\v2.