Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP has changed default behavior of Smart Array controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

HP has changed default behavior of Smart Array controllers

HP has changed default behavior of Smart Array controllers from F2 to accept problem and continue to F1

disable logical drives can this be overcome or changed.

Because now if a drive fails when a server comes up it will stay down until F2 is pressed instead of F1

Zohar

5 REPLIES
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Re: HP has changed default behavior of Smart Array controllers

Hi,

The options are not changed, however F1 and F2 option are scenario based.

It depends upon the error you are getting and the status of the server.

For eg: you may get below message on POST.

Select "F1" to continue - all logical drive(s) will remain disabled, or...

Select "F2" to fail drive(s) that are not responding - Interim recovery mode will be enabled if configured for fault tolerance

In this case, F1 will disable all logical drives and F2 will let you continue in interim recovery mode.

In certain other scenario, F1 key will start automatic data recovery. F2 key is used to re-enable the logical volumes.

You may refer the below guide for finding different scenarios:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300504/c00300504.pdf

I hope the info will help you.

Regards,

Renji V

I am an HP employee.

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

the default behavior used to be F2 which means if one drive fails and all logical drives are working the server would boot. now the default is F1 this means that even if logical drives are working server doesn't boot because all logical drives are disabled unless you intervene and press F2.

Regards

Zohar

Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Hi Zohar,

Yes, I got it.

What is the exact POST error message and error code you are getting?

I think you are getting a different scenario which is giving F1 option now. If the failed drive is part of multiple logical drives, this situation occurs.

May be similar to below one:

If you replace a drive belonging to a fault-tolerant configuration while the system power is off, a POST message appears when the system is next powered up. This message prompts you to press the F1 key to start automatic data recovery. If you do not enable automatic data recovery, the logical volume remains in a ready-to-recover condition and the same POST message appears whenever the system is restarted.

Refer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01608507/c01608507.pdf

Regards,

Renji V

I am an HP employee.

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
giladzzz
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

the problem defined is because of Smart firmware

Document ID: c03127437

Version: 3

Advisory: (Revision) HP ProLiant/StorageWorks/Integrity Systems: HP Smart Array Controllers - Default "RESUME" Key Is F1 Instead of F2 in Firmware Versions 5.06 Through 5.14 When a "1789 - Slot x Drive Array Disk Drive(s) Not Responding" Error Occurs
as stated by HP
Zohar
JKOOL
Frequent Visitor

Anyone know of a way to change this behaviour as my SA is giving an errorstate that is 'incorrect' when using non-hp branded drives. So everytime the server boots (460g6 with SB2200) someone has to press F2,