ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752620 Members
4454 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP iLO Domain Name - can't remove domain name, only change to some other name

tbilic
Occasional Contributor

HP iLO Domain Name - can't remove domain name, only change to some other name

Hi,

I have some name set for domain name. When I change it to some other name, it's ok, changes go to pending.

But I want to remove domain name (clear it, blank), but then I get the error that it's invalid.

Is there some solution for this?

Thank You

ILO_domain_name.png

6 REPLIES 6
GeeGee_NVa

Re: HP iLO Domain Name - can't remove domain name, only change to some other name

I wish I could help you as I want to know how to do this too!

Interestingly enough, on our first host we configuredd--this is exactly what is configured (i.e., no domain name--it's blank).  I was involved in standing this server up, but for the life of me, I have no idea how we were able to have this field blank without it complaining.

On the second server (just stood up--and almost a year after the first server was stood up), I never entered Domain anywhere--the server simply must have divined it from going out on the network.  I made the mistake of not nipping it in the bud when I first saw it, I guess, because now it's there--seemingly, for all eternity, and I want it gone.

If you figure out how to get rid of it--let me know, and I'll endeavor to do the same.

It's annoying to see the domain name tacked on for this server when my other server simply sports the server name--and nothing else.  Which, in my opinion, that's how it should be.  Both machines are identical--the only big difference is the original machine is running ESXi 6.5, while the "newer" machine (the one with Domain Name I can't get rid of) is running ESXi 6.5 Update 1.

It's stuff like this which annoys the life out of me....

Best Regards--

MG

RCP1
Occasional Advisor

Reset the iLO factory default.. 

GeeGee_NVa

Not sure what you mean by "resetting the iLO Factory default". 

Could you be more specific (as in provide steps)?

Thanks....

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

what server model?

for gen8 and earlier, press F8 during power on sequence and select factory defaults in menu.

for gen9 and later press F9 and select the ILO config menu.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
GeeGee_NVa

Server model (at least in my case) is a DL360 Gen 9.  RIght now, it has a failed System board and is slated to be replaced tomorrow (second HP server--and we only ever had 2 to begin with) who had a major failure after placing it in service in less than 2 weeks after doing so),  but that's a different matter.

If I go into the iLO Config menu, (which I did during my initial power-on event), I don't believe I purposefully expressed any domain, anywhere on any configuration--however, I do believe because it went out on its own and "discovered" the domain on which we sit, that it populated the domain name, and consequently is "present" when I get into the web version of iLO as described by the original poster--and won't let me save it "empty".

Assuming I can get into iLO Configuration (tomorrow when HP comes out to replace the System Board), what's to prevent the assigment of our domain again?

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

-mg

GeeGee_NVa

So, yesterday, HP came and replaced the system board and I had to re-do my iLO configuration as a consequence--so I paid particular attention to the iLO configuration (since I had to repeat it).  I discovered that while in the the Intelligent Provisioning mode of operation, and performing the iLO Config, you can give iLO a host name, BUT you cannot change or edit the domain name.  Domain name is presented to the user, but there's nothing you can click on to edit it (or as I want to do) delete the entry that is already populated there--presumably by virture of the server going out on its own--either as a function of the Registration process, or by having supplied DNS information in another configuration panel elsewhere.

There appears to be no ability to remove the Domain name, and since this is saved as part of the configuation, even when you get the server all the way up and use iLO's web access to edit the same panel--and even though this field can be cleared (under web access control), you cannot save it empty.

These were my observations--which counter those suggested above about performing a Reset.