ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745789 Members
4180 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP proliant Server DL-380 and installed Raid Controller B320i and he is asking for licence

Dinesh1992

HP proliant Server DL-380 and installed Raid Controller B320i and he is asking for licence

3 REPLIES 3
techin
Super Advisor

Re: HP proliant Server DL-380 and installed Raid Controller B320i and he is asking for lic

@Dinesh1992 

Can you provide more details please? Like screenshots or the errror message etc..

Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: HP proliant Server DL-380 and installed Raid Controller B320i and he is asking for lic

Hi,

if you add SAS Drive, you need a License.

B120i Up to 6 SATA drives
NOTE: NO SAS supported.

B320i Up to 8 SATA drives;
NOTE: SAS supported with optional SAS License key.

BC393A HPE Smart Array SAS License Key - for B320i only

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
ServerPains
Frequent Advisor

From what I've been through, this is what I've learned and still have an unknown about SATA drives.
SAS drives can be seen as separate storage devices.. You need the license to do anything else like RAID for example.

SATA drives can also be seen as separate storage devices but it seems even these require the license if you are going to use them in a RAID configuration. HP/HPE is very unclear on how all this works while all over brands automatically give you the best options possible without a license, just depends on what controller you use.

It is totally and completely unclear to me if you actually need a SAS license to use SATA in RAID config but in my experience over the past few weeks, any logical storage will not be seen by ANY operating systems no matter what without special drivers.

Having said the above, using the cache card is also confusing. It is not clear if those cache options can be used without a SAS license. It's nice that HPE wants to confirm all things that work together but it's an amazing pain in the butt to work with on a now and then level. I use a ton of IBM, DELL and others and have never had to go through so much nonsense.