ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748275 Members
3815 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

HP proliant dl380e gen8 - Access home server/iLO over VPN ?

cocaroach
Frequent Collector

HP proliant dl380e gen8 - Access home server/iLO over VPN ?

Hey All, 

Recently I have setup iLO for my 8th gen dl380, which was interesting. However, I am looking at studying remotely so would like access to iLO/Remote Access feature from external networks.

I have read a few articles on how this can be accomplished, however would like your opinion on which Router I should acquire (not compromising my current speeds etc). Currently I have a ISP issued router (2 of those actually) - Huawei HG659b. From what I've read it provides basic VPN passthrough, however it does not allow DDWRT/Tomato firmware upgrades.  I have a fibre 100mbit connection (Chorus Fibre termination box installed inside home premises). 

Basically, the main points I wish to achieve  is to Connect to Server ILO interface  from external network. Have you tried this?

2 REPLIES 2
tom_ash
Advisor

Re: HP proliant dl380e gen8 - Access home server/iLO over VPN ?

Hello cocaroach,

Kindly find below options

Option-1: Assign a public IP to iLO (not recommended from security point of view)

Option-2: Install VPN software at both server and laptop/desktop end, using this you should be able to access iLO

Option-3: You may avail help of a HPE consultant for this (chargeable basis)

------------------
If you feel this was helpful, please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

I am an HPE employee
cocaroach
Frequent Collector

Re: HP proliant dl380e gen8 - Access home server/iLO over VPN ?

Hi All,

Here is how to do it (figured this out on my own/youtube). Make sure you router is compatible with DDNS and OPENVPN.

Assuming you already have iLO running on your LAN and just need to access it from WAN.

1. Create VPN server using OPENVPN ( you will need compatible router). I used RT ac66u B1 Asus router. Got it for 160 NZ $.

2. Download open VPN on your PC/Device.

3. Register your Router with DDNS and no-ip.com domain (video instructions on the site).

4. Once registered (on site and on router). Export VPN file and save it to your devices requiring VPN access to home network/server.

5.  Using openvpn app/software import the file and connect to iLO using iLO software/app.

This has only been tested on my android phone.