1753519 Members
4768 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

HP redundant power supplies without phase synchronisation

Mansoor Basheer

HP redundant power supplies without phase synchronisation

Hi,

I have a DL360 G5 server with two 750w power supply units for redundancy. I have a situation where I need to connect these two PSU to two UPS units. However,the respective UPS outputs are not phase synchronized .i.e. each UPS output is 240v 50hz AC – but not phase synchronized – the voltage between UPS A & UPS B could be up to 415 Volts. I would like to know whether DL360 G5 machine is suitable to accept dual supplies that are not synchronized.

Many thanks
Mansoor
2 REPLIES 2
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: HP redundant power supplies without phase synchronisation

hi,

in my opinion, i can't recomned you to do it, i think it is not possible,

each UPS ( for enterprise ) have 2 independent power distribution, connected to separatelly PDU.

mikap
u84823
Regular Advisor

Re: HP redundant power supplies without phase synchronisation

I asked the exact same question from Dell but no-one could (or perhaps, would) give me an answer.

At the end of the day the individual PSUs are sealed units with only ULV DC output, fully encased in grounded steel.

On the other hand the servers are NOT stickered for 415V.

However it is fairly normal to make the connections in this way, not least to provide some protection against utility failure on one phase.

If proceeding it may be advisable to have the racks themselves seperately earthed.

FWIW APC advised me that this configuration should be used only if the rPSUs are active/standby, which isn't the case for Dell servers at least.

HTH!