New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP version control agent

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob_m
Occasional Advisor

HP version control agent

Hello All,

I just installed Server 2003 on a new ML310 with SmartStart 8.15 x32. I am getting an error message concerning the HP version control agent service in event viewer stating that the service failed to load because the application configuration is incorrect.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
11 REPLIES 11
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

did you set-up the version control repository manager?
Bob_m
Occasional Advisor

I did not but was looking for that. Where can I find it. thanks Bob
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&swItem=MTX-f440879d571340dfa9d8111451&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=3

basically VCA gathers the data of your current inventory and compares it againts the VCRM, if no VCRM is configure it will always have a yellow bang which is ok because it cannot compare to something, if VCA and VCRM have the same versions it will show an ok next to it, if the VCA detecs something older than what the VCRM has, it will set an action (you decide this action) like upgrade, notify, ignore...
Bob_m
Occasional Advisor

Thank you I will give that a try. I am curious, why didn't SmartStart leave me with an error free working server? Did I miss something during the setup?

Thanks bob
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

it is not an error but a warning, the VCRM is configure only in one server per branch or area (more if desire but useless), so it is not to be set in a per server basis because is a waste of resources.
sscd does not set this up because, to clear this yellow bang, it will have to install the VCRM on every single deployment and again, useless
Bob_m
Occasional Advisor

What should I do in my case, should I just uninstall the version control agent?

I see the version control Agent is working fine on my other ML310 and I don't think I did anything but install SmartStart but that was 2 years ago now. If I go into on the older server, it just shows all my current HP software and their version. Can I at least get to that point on the new server.

Thanks for your help here,

Bob
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Did you start with plain old Server 2003, no service packs, etc? Then see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01506393
Bob_m
Occasional Advisor

David that is bang on! Can I reinstall the agent using SmartStart?

Thanks Bob
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

From the advisory:

"To recover from this issue if it has already occurred, install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) after a SmartStart Assisted installation of the operating system using SmartStart Release 8.00. Then, reinstall the VC Agent."