cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP6 SATA Raid Dirve Falures

Wayne Stoll
Occasional Advisor

HP6 SATA Raid Dirve Falures

I have an HP6 SATA Controller in an ML310 Storage Server. I keep getting drive 2 failed even though it has been replaced 3 times. The HP6 cntrlr the cable and disk backplane have also been replaced. The 1 thing I noticed is drive 2 (replacement) is a different manufacture than the other 3 drives in the array. Anyone seen this problem? Also this
controller isn't supported by SmartStart as it is not a SmartArray. HP storage Manager is a bit different than the ACU I'm used to.
3 REPLIES
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: HP6 SATA Raid Dirve Falures

Hello Wayne,

Im Sure you are talking about Adaptec SA2610 6 Port SATA RAID Controller (640 GB, 1TB, and 2TB Models)... am I correct ?

Update all firmwares using Firmware CD 7.9

Since everything else has been replaced already, try replacing the Drive Cage tooooo !!

Regards,
James.
Wayne Stoll
Occasional Advisor

I think that is the one. The card cage is just Metal.....I already replaced the SATA
Backplane that is attached to the cage.

I will do the 7.9 Update, but it doesn't recognize the SATA Controller as a supported device. I know there is a Seagate Firmware update also, but again...it looks like you have to have an HP Smartstart supported controller to update the disk firmware as well.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You must not have SmartArray controller to update the HDD and controller Firmware with Firmware CD. I'm not sure if there is a FW CD for Storageservers, but this one must work on storage servers too. Since you say the HDD is different modell, firmware is very important. There is no difference between Seagate and Maxtor HDDs if the HP firmware is installed - they are just a piece of metal without hte formware.
So, be sure the HDDs and the controller are with the latest firmware.

Contents of FW CD 7.8:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/WebDoc/firmware/firmware780content.pdf

You can see that there is HDD and non-Smartarray controller firmware too.

Regards,
Pac