ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752571 Members
4725 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 40G QSFP+ 40GBase-SR4 Transceiver Module Overheating issue.

Ugyen
Visitor

HPE 40G QSFP+ 40GBase-SR4 Transceiver Module Overheating issue.

Hello Everyone, recently we bought HPE prolian DL380 Gen10 server. It has  HPE 40G QSFP+ 40GBase-SR4 Transceiver Module. Even though there is no traffic flow, i have seen that it was over heating and when we check the temperature, we have found out that temperature is around 80 deg celsius.

Can anyone tell me what is the optimal temp for the transceiver and if overheating is a issue, please tell me what should we do with it.

7 REPLIES 7
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Dear Community Member,

Greetings.

Environment

Operating temperature: 32┬░F to 158┬░F (0┬░C to 70┬░C)
Operating relative humidity: 0% to 85%, noncondensing
Nonoperating/Storage temperature: -40┬░F to 185┬░F (-40┬░C to 85┬░C)

Please refer to the quickspecs from the following link - https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04312725.pdf

Write back for any further clarification

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you log in to iLO, go to System Information > Temperature, you can see the Current, Caution and Critical Temperature for the NIC.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Ugyen
Visitor

When we checked from iLO, we have found out the critical temp benchmark was 100 deg celsius and on plugging 40G QSFP+ 40GBase-SR4 Transceiver Module in the port, the temp reaches 80 degree celsius. 

So does it mean there is something wrong or is it normal to reach at 80 degree celsius if critical temperature is 100 degree celsius.

Ugyen
Visitor

Thank you Cali,

Thats waht we did exactly. 

Critical temp was 100 degree celsius and on plugging 40G QSFP+ 40GBase-SR4 Transceiver Module in the port, the temp reaches 80 degree celsius.

DANDKS
HPE Pro

It is safe below the threshold.

Please let us know if any issues due to the high temperature, do you see any link down on the network?

Please share the part number of the QSFP+ and on which adapter/server it is installed?

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Please provide an update if we were able to answer your query

Thank you.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Ugyen
Visitor

Hello everyone,

Finally our problem has been solved. We have found out that fan speed was around 14 to 18 which was not able to cool the server. Now we can see fan speed at around 30 and temperature is fine.