4242 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE DL20 Gen10 Max Memory

Romke
Occasional Visitor

HPE DL20 Gen10 Max Memory

Dear Community, 

In the quickspecs of the DL20 Gen10 it is stated that it can max handle 64GB memory max.

But on several reviews it is written that when Intel will support 128GB ram on its e-2100 xeon CPU's the DL20 Gen10 will support it to. 

According to Intel ark the cpu's now support 128GB ram. Does the DL20 Gen10 support it to? 

Thanks in advance

Romke

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE DL20 Gen10 Max Memory

HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen 10's QuickSpecs are clear enough IMHO.

Those 64GBytes of RAM is the maximum value you can deploy considering just one physical CPU...since the HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen 10 supports only one CPU...then 64GBytes is also the maximum value for a HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen 10 server (plus you have to consider that the motherboard hosts 4 DIMMs for just one physical CPU socket and each DIMM of this group of four supports at best up to 16GBytes Unbuffered DIMM Memory module...that's 4 x 16GBytes = 64GBytes of Unbuffered RAM).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Romke
Occasional Visitor

According to this review from december 2018: https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-dl20-gen10-review-compact-and-nimble-server/
The DL20 Gen10 can support 128GB ram when Intel updates their Xeon e-2100 processors with 128GB ram support and HP releases a bios update.

According to Intel ARK the e-2136 supports 128GB: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134857/intel-xeon-e-2136-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Is there any information when HP releases the bios update?
parnassus
Honored Contributor

If what you wrote will happen it shall be necessary that (a) HPE releases 32GBytes UDIMM for DL20 Gen10 and (b) HPE reconfigure DL20 Gen10 to support that new UDIMM size...I personally doubt it will be done.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
iron
Occasional Visitor

Its disappointing then that hpe are artificially restricting platform capability. They could be great bits of kit. But im not waiting for gen11 which will *have* to support 128gb ram. Personally I will look elsewhere with other vendors that more transparent. 

Thats the personal level. On the professional day job side I will take every opportunity to avoide hpe. Now thats interesting. Afew 3par SANs, at least 65 c7000 chassis fully populated that need replacing....thats 900 blades and 65 chassis  that I  now feel that i will be screwed on. Funny how the enterprise market works.