1748017 Members
3849 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE DL380p GEN8 iLO4 Self Test Error

KevinMoon

Re: HPE DL380p GEN8 iLO4 Self Test Error

Hi Bob,

How did that format work out for you? Formatting of the NAND has never worked for me. It has always been replacement of the system board. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04996097

Rafel503
Occasional Advisor

I am planning to replace the system board so will it effect any ILO settings do i need to take any ILO backup configurations,moreover what happens if i dont replace the system board or fix the issue will it cause any issue?becuase i really dont want to bring my server down as it's critical one

Rafel503
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kevin ,

Any issues after repalcing the system board do i need to take any backup of any configuration settings

Eggman_2112
Valued Contributor

I would certainly do a full backup of the server with Acronis or other backup software as you may want to to revert back if any problems occur. I would also ensure all the latest matching firmwares/bios are installed on both system boards.

I also found an article on backing up iLO4 with scripts but I have never tried that as we just do hardware asset management. I don't usually work with operating systems of HPE server management software:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ilo4-configuration-dump/td-p/6765114

My rule - always do full backups and plan double the time you think it will take as unexpected problems will arise when you least expect it especially when dealing with system board which may have been refurbished or recertified.

Thanks for your time and have a great day!
Roberto
Eggman_2112
Valued Contributor

I think I would definitely try the steps in the advisory before replacing the system board. Having said that, I had servers where they have the iLO error and then on the next reboot it was gone but we still add a lab comment to our inventory that we saw the error just in case it is a system board issue.

We just do asset recovery disposal so I believe most of our servers are sold to companies that break down the servers and sell the individual components.  As a result we don't really have any customers complaining or returning servers due to this issue as they know about the error or other problems when they are buying the server.

I am a big fan of ProLiant Servers and we still have Compaq DL380 G1 servers in production. I was really hoping that the new Gen10 Servers with iLO5 would have had a separate addon card for iLO so that it can be changed for troubleshooting like they did with the network adapter on the Gen8 Gen9 but they kept the iLO5 on board so maybe an engineer will read this and take my advice? |-)

I see some companies that have thousands of servers that just replace the server with another one so at the end of the lease we usually get a pallet with all the bad servers that give the memory initialization / iLO errors and lots of bad drives / bad memory / bad system boards. I guess there are so many memory and cpu pins and connections that it's a wonder they even work at all!

Roberto
Rafel503
Occasional Advisor

After replacing the system board my issue got fixed,so far didnt observe any issues but need to update firmware again.

mlasidab
Frequent Advisor

Hold those horses guys. replacing a motherboard should be the last fix.

Hi all,

We had same problem here in my company with a couple of G8 servers. ILO Version were 2.55 (Aug 16 2017).

"Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Embedded media manager failed initialization".

The only way we could fix it was downgrading the ILO firmware to 2.54 (Jun 15 2017) for that, addi the .rpm file to a bootable  USB with SPP2018030.2018_0226.84 inside. you need to locate the folder were the packages are located and just drop the file with ILO 2.54 in.

Boot from the USB and select interactive updates. Then advanced options and select upgrade/downgrade in order to have the 2.54 listed. 

After downgrading, boot a couple of times and the issue will dissapear. Then you will able to update again to ILO 2.55 if you wouold like to.

Cheers

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I really doubt that a downgrade will fix this issue or if it just don't show some symptoms ... a NAND format followed by pulling the power plugs will solve it in most cases.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
John Albrektson
Occasional Contributor

I finally got the victory on this nagging problem!  The instructions at https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04996097 list 6 steps to try, roughtly . . .

1.   Do the NAND flash
2.  Do a power-off/unplug reset
3.  Boot and check ILO to see if if error state is gone (it wasn't for me), if not THEN
4.  Do *another* NAND flash

. . . and voila!  When ILO finished coming up (no server reboot required) the error was gone, and replaced by a glorious blue (or green, can't tell) check mark!

Eggman_2112
Valued Contributor

Lots of good advice and instructions so hopefully looks like this would be resolved now. Thanks to everyone who provided information and instructions.

Roberto