New Discussion юеВ

HPE DL580 G8 not booting from internal Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Flow_swiss
Occasional Collector

HPE DL580 G8 not booting from internal Drive

Hi folks,

We have several HPE Proliant DL580 G8 Servers which give us a huge headache. We have installed different OS (Red hat, Ubuntu, ESX, Virtuozzo) which works just fine but then the server does not find a bootable device after the installation is done. We tried using the internal P830i Controller, as well as a PCIe LSI Controller both with UEFI and Legacy BIOS but no matter what, the server won't boot from a internal disk. Booting from a virtual Drive for installer ISO is no problem.

We have no clue what's going on. Has anyone else had the same experience and more important could anyone resolve this? Any tips would be much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
kira12
Valued Contributor

Re: HPE DL580 G8 not booting from internal Drive

Hi,

go to the P830i Bios during boot with the F8 Key during shown after initialise the P830i. Then you check if a Raid is available and the you chould set this Raid as Boot Device. Then you can boot from this Raid

best regards r├й

P.S. in the boot Order in Bios also should be DiskDrive and the P830i enabled

Flow_swiss
Occasional Collector

Hi kira12

Thanks for your help. Do mean Intelligent Provisionig (F9)? There is no option for F8.
In the Smart Storage Administration I can't set what device to boot from.

https://ibb.co/RPxLgfJ

Thank and best regards, Flow

kira12
Valued Contributor

Hi,

you need to wait untill the Message:

"SMART STORAGE blabla P830i initializing" come, then you have the option for F5, F8 and ESC.

Press F8 to go to the P830i Bios....

best regards r├й

Flow_swiss
Occasional Collector
Solution

Hi kira12

I never saw this message while observing the complete booting process.
Anyway, I got the solution from another forum. I had to boot to System Utilities, then one time boot and there chose "Run a UEFI application from a file system". Then I was able to chose the bootloader and boot from the disk. Obviously this only works if the OS is installed via UEFI.

Thanks for your help and BR!

Flow