108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE DL60 Never updated. Problems install SPP2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
pwingert
Occasional Advisor

HPE DL60 Never updated. Problems install SPP2003

I have an HPE DL60 server that I inherited. It was found in a janitor's closet after the company moved out. It's an HPE DL60 Gen 9. I got it in 2017 and registered for the initial warranty. I then ran into issues and let is sit on the shelf at my house. So now it's out of support with no warranty system. I really don't want to get an extended out of support warranty for a home machine to solve this one problem.

I need to install the latest SPP  2003. I made the USB key using the HPE Key tool. and booted into ILO (Which has never been updated since 2014). O selected automatic update and it immediately drops out to the ILO command line. SO I am in a bit of a quandary about how to update this machine. ILO gets updated from the SPP and the SPP cant be updated without a newer ILO. Chicken and egg. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

9 REPLIES 9
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Good Day !!!

I hope all is well.

I would suggest you update SPP 2019.12.0 from the below link for all Gen9 servers.

Service Pack for ProLiant

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_62207605d23140ec82dfb56d11

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

pwingert
Occasional Advisor

I acquired 201912.0 and made a USB key booted it through ILO  selected auto-install and it immediately kicked out to the ILO command line

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Could you share the IML error & current bios and iLO firmware to understand the issue.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

pwingert
Occasional Advisor

ILO version 2.10 Jan 15 2015

BIOS vrsion U15 v 1.30(12├й25├й2014)

There us no IML Error

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Always compare the md5 of the ISO and *only* use the included USBKeyUtility to create the USB stick.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pwingert
Occasional Advisor

I have verified the MD5 signature of the iso. I am unable to use the HPE key tool as it crashed before it writes the USB key. It just stops running. I have tried it on several different machines running Windows 10 and with different versions of Windows 10 and it still crashed. I used RUFUS as an alternative as I have reports of it being a viable alternative.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Rufus won't work with this ISO.

You could try to run this SPP online for most updates (probably it will works for all needed updates on your system).

Consider to mount via ILO virtual media.

Did you use the USBKeyTool with "Run as Administrator..."?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

As per shared information, the server is running very old bios and firmware. I would request to follow the below path for updating your server.

Service Pack for ProLiant (2016.10.0(24 Oct 2016))

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_3c2bfcb8c3b446a7a9451c4ab9

Service Pack for ProLiant (2018.03.0(28 Feb 2018))

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_a134fa75a1bd4fb980e7850b91

Service Pack for ProLiant (2019.03.1(4 May 2019)

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_fcd64526ff6242cdbe059bea3d

Service Pack for ProLiant (2020.03.0(30 Mar 2020)

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_8ccab9e4b99047138c2e608f97#tab-history

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

pwingert
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Found this discussion: https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/hpe-usb-key-utility-not-work-on-windows-10/td-p/6886056/page/2#.Xsk1bTOSkuU>

They suggested the following procedure (It worked!)

1. after downloading the SPP.iso click on the file from internet explorer to open it up
2. Look for the USB Directory
3. Look for the USBKey directory
4. Run the USBKey tool utility in this directory to build the iso onto the USBKey.
that is in this directory and use it to

I successfully installed SPP2020.03.0 to the machine. I did not have to install any prior SPP's either. Only then did I discover that there is now a 2020.03.1! Arrrrgghhhhh! LOL

Here I go again!

But first I am going to go configure my RAID 0 array on my two 1Tb drives then load an OS (Server 2016 I think but Maybe RHEL Developer Edition since this is now a home server. I could XEN it then add from there.) I Don't think 2019 is listed as being compatible (Any comment on this?)

Thanks for all the help everyone.