ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)

HPE FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLR-SFP+ and RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE)

scuthber
Occasional Visitor

HPE FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLR-SFP+ and RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE)

Hello... I'm looking at a problem we've had appear over the last 12 months or so on a Hyper-V 2016 cluster running on DL360 Gen 9 servers, where all of a sudden we are getting event ID 252 and message:

"Memory allocated for packets in a vRss queue (on CPU 0) on switch 42AF3F0F-F128-4ADF-961E-2654E5156471 (Friendly Name: 10G Converged Switch) due to low resource on the physical NIC has increased to 256MB. Packets will be dropped once queue size reaches 512MB."

Shortly after this the iSCSI CSV that is "owned" by the node starts throwing errors with Shared I/O volume paused and everything starts shifting around.

I thought I'd go right back to the beginning and check everything over and I noticed here that Microsoft says "To use Converged NIC technology, the certified network adapters in your servers must support RDMA".

I went to the quickspecs for the 534FLR here and I can't see any mention of "RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE)" for the 534, only for the 632 and above.

Is RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) supported on the HPE FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLR-SFP+ ?

Is anybody else useing this adapter with Microsoft converged networking?

Thank in advance for any help!

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLR-SFP+ and RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE)

@scuthber wrote: Is RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) supported on the HPE FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLR-SFP+ ?

AFAIK no, it isn't [*].

It seems the HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2 port 548SFP+ Adapter (SKU: P11338-B21) supports RDMA (RoCE V1 and V2) but it is not a supported options for HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 (see here).

The HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 546FLR-SFP+ Adapter (SKU: 779799-B21) instead supports RDMA and it is a supported options for HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 (see here).

[*] Have a look also on this old QuickSpecs document (specific about 534FLR) and also here ("Choose the ideal adapter - Marvell FastLinQ Ethernet adapters for HPE ProLiant, Apollo and Synergy Servers" HPE Technical Whitepaper) for a recap (updated September 2019).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner