6029 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE ML110 Gen9 Memory Speed

MarkC84
Occasional Contributor

HPE ML110 Gen9 Memory Speed

Hi all,

Need some advice. I recently bought a HPE ML110 gen9 server with a xeon E5-1603v3. I upgraded this CPU to an E5-2697 v3 (14 core) and installed Samsung 2-Rank PC-17000 memory (8 x 16gb @ 128gb). All works fine, however looking at the memory speed, it is only running at 1866mhz, this is despite the memory reporting a max frequency of 2133mhz in iLO.

Any idea what is going on, and are there any solutions to get the memory working at its correct speed? I've been scratching my head about this for a while and have found no solution. There appears to be absolutely no way of changing memory speed settings in the bios either. Really annoying knowing that my hardware is not running as fast as it should be and that I have absolutely no control over it.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
MarkC84
Occasional Contributor

Well answering my own question, it seems that using just 2 sticks puts the memory speed at 2133mhz. I haven't tried it with 4 or 6 sticks but I assume there is a cutoff point where the memory will fall back to a slower speed if a certain number of modules are installed.. Why is this? There doesn't seem to be any mention of this 'feature' in the manual? Unless I'm missing something?!

Paul_J_K
HPE Pro

Kindly refer the memory population guidelines and the supported DIMM parts in the following document. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05226549#N10013

It is always recommended to use the manufacturer recommended parts as added options to the equipment.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo