ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748259 Members
3527 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen9 + HPE Smart Array P440/4G: SAS/SATA disks + drives Cage compatibility?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen9 + HPE Smart Array P440/4G: SAS/SATA disks + drives Cage compatibility?

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what HP genuine SATA or SAS drives to select for a low cost solution consisting of factory pre-configured:

Since Customer requirements are quite low and the HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen9 (with 1 CPU Intel Xeon E5-2609v3 and 8GB RAM DDR4 ECC) + P440/4G is on sale pre-boxed at a very good price I though I can use SATA drives instead of more performant (and expensive) SAS drives...but I'm start having really big doubts about what SATA/SAS Disks to select (Compatibility), how to verify that a correct LFF Disk Cage is yet present and that Smart Array P440/4G Controller internal cabling come pre-installed (QuickSpecs didn't help me as I expected).

I will need - just to start - 4+1=5 disks to form a single RAID 6 Volume (with Global Host Spare) or, eventually, two Volumes: a RAID 1 for OS and a RAID 5 without GHS for Data. Up to 8 disks I think it would be OK.

So here few questions:

1. Is there a way to verify - before purchasing - that the DL180 Gen9 is correctly equipped with all necessary internal cabling between the SAS Controller and the LFF Drives Cage(s) - no matter if I choose SAS or SATA drives - even if it is sold without any disks installed from factory?
  2. Is there a way to verify - before purchasing - that the DL180 Gen9 is correctly equipped with the right LFF 3,5" Drives Cage (or Cages) if it is sold without any disks installed from factory (SATA or SAS 3,5" LFF disks will be purchased separately)?
  3. Will the 657750-B21 (HP SATA 1TB Hot-Plug LFF 3,5" Midline) be compatible with the DL180 Gen9?
  4. Eventually, will the 652753-B21 (HP SAS 1TB Hot-Plug LFF 3,5" Midline) be compatible with the DL180 Gen9?

Thanks for any help!

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen9 + HPE Smart Array P440/4G: SAS/SATA disks + drives Cage compatibility?

OK, for disks cited in (3) and (4) there are no problems (they're compatible).

I was able to found the HP ProLiant DL180 Gen9 Server - Option Parts page that has a plenty of informations about that.

My doubts are now SATA/SAS cables and 8 LFF 3,5" Cage Kit related:

• How can I verify (apart contacting the Hardware Distributor, thing I will do ASAP) that that pre-configured solution contains the necessary 8 LFF 3,5" Cage Kit (Option part list doesn't list it, there is a HP DL180 Gen9 12LFF Hot Plug Enablement Kit (725574-B21)...so I presume that 8 LFF 3,5" Cage Kit comes equipped into the server as default)?
  • How can I verify that the HP DL180 Gen9 8LFF Smart Array Cable Kit (725577-B21) is really included into that pre-configured solution (and if it is included yet then is it valid for both SATA and SAS drives)?
  • If the Cable Kit (725577-B21) is present then should I worry to purchase also some HP LFF HDD Blank Kit (666986-B21) or those are yet present on the 8 LFF 3,5" Cage (if any)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen9 + HPE Smart Array P440/4G: SAS/SATA disks + drives Cage compatibility?

What is the product number of the server?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hello, the only code (which is not the Product Number) I have from the Hardware Distributor (*) is actually this one:

HP Code L9N12A (0889296351849)

This is the brief (one row) description for that HP Code:

SERVER HP L9N12A DL180 GEN9 RACK2U XEON E5-2609 V3 1.9GHZ 8GBDDR4 P440/4G NOHDD NOODD 2GLAN 1X550W 4USB2 1USB3 3+1+1

and then few more details into its description:

DL180 Gen9 Intel┬о Xeon┬о E5-2609v3 (1.90GHz, 6-core, 15MB, 85W), 8GB (1x8GB) Single Rank x4 DDR4-2133 Registered, 8 Drive Cage, Hot Plug LFF SATA diskless, Smart Array P440/4G Controller with battery, 2x1GbE, 550 Watt, Warranty 3-1-1

So it looks like it is similar to SKU Number 778454-B21 (Base Model) plus some options added discretionally by the Hardware Distributor (especially regarding the HP Smart Array P440/4G); it's similar to SKU Number 778454-B21 because it has:

• Same HDD none ship standard, includes 6 LFF HDD blanks.
  • Same 8 LFF HDD Bays for Internal Storage.
  • Same No ODD.
  • Same number and type of CPU.
  • Same base RAM.

But that SKU refers to a DL180 Gen9 equipped exactly with the HP H240 Smart Host Bus Adapter instead of the more expensive HP Smart Array P440/4G...so I say they look just "similar".

Thanks in advance!

Edit: (*) just to be clear, it is a quite large Cash and Carry national (Italy) HW&SW Distributor in partnership agreement with HPE...

I'm not an HPE Employee
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

That is why I was asking for the product number (SKU), it should be on the slide out tag that has the serial number information on it.  Wanted to determine if it was a base model that your retailer added parts to, or if it shipped from the factory with the P440. If your reatiler installed the card without the cable, they owe you a cable

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Thanks! exactly...since I didn't purchased the product yet I'm now forced to ask about that SKU directly to the retailer and post back.

Edit: I found a localized (italian only) page with the product L9N12A here but there isn't any clear reference to its composition as the one (with P440/4G) proposed by the retailer. Sent a mail...let we see what they say.

I'm not an HPE Employee
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Retailer wasn't very collaborative today...they said that they aren't able to help in finding the SKU or whatever about this specific pre-assembled solution (Gosh!): they said the box is as-is and pre-assembled directly by HPE, they act as box-movers...so I must trust HPE. I do.

Let we see. Interesting journey.

After documenting a little bit more, now I'm sure that if this Server is (pre-/post-)equipped with the HP Smart Array P440/4G FWBC 12GB SAS Controller (726821-B21) then it should be equipped also with the HP DL180 Gen9 8LFF Smart Array Cable Kit (725577-B21) miniSAS cable to 8LFF Disk Cage.

DL180_Gen9_8LFF.pngIf the Server is configured for 8SFF instead of 8LFF then the HP DL180 Gen9 8SFF Smart Array Cable Kit (725578-B21) miniSAS cable to 8SFF Disk Cage is required instead of the 725577-B21.

P440_4G_and_MiniSAS_for_SAS_and_SATA_disks_LFF_and_SFF_detail.png

The same is also valid for P440/2G FWBC and for P840/4G FWBC, it's not for P441/4G FWBC and P841/4G FWBC.

Thanks to an illustrative Japanese QuickSpecs that provides a nice graphical flowchart (language doesn't really matter, SKU codes do).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

Hello good afternoon. I have decided to ask the question here so I do not have to open a new post, since the question does not require it.

It turns out that I have the same P440 / 4GB controller in an ML110 G9 and 8x6TB, and I wanted to ask what is the total capacity of terabytes that it can support in hard disks, and that we can currently buy disks of up to 14 TB.

Thank you!